9.75, Disc: L2 and Dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 18 12:25:25 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-75. Sun Jan 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.75, Disc: L2 and Dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:15:46 +0800 (CST)
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Re: 9.73, Disc: L2 and Dreams

2)
Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:15:30 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

3)
Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 01:21:00 -0500
From:  laura.snyder at juno.com (Laura C Snyder)

4)
Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 09:59:31 -0500
From:  "Elizabeth M. Bergman" <embergman at earthlink.net>
Subject:  L2 and dreams

Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:15:46 +0800 (CST)
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>

> Anyone else care to share a memorable L2 dream?
> Duane L. Blanchard

	To add to the collection:

	When I was first learning Chinese - and had a deep desire to
learn it fluently, while doubting it was really possible - I had a
dream in which I could already speak Mandarin Chinese. I woke up
excited, thinking that it was indeed possible to conquer this language
as well as any European one, as later turned out to in fact be the
case. But I also distinctly remember thinking - knowing - after I woke
up that the Chinese I spoke in the dream wasn't real Chinese, but some
Hollywood approximation that served the purposes of the dream. I was
dressed up in a Chinese princess gown, and made up maybe as for Peking
Opera, and that underlined the fanciful, theatrical character of the
whole scenario.

	I also remember, in a dream I had many years later, citing
various Chinese dialect forms of the pronunciation of a certain
written character, for dialects I didn't know all that well. It was a
fun dream, and the pronunciation patterns (e.g. a final -m for a
southern dialect) were basically correct, though the pronunciations
themselves were totally erroneous, and I'm not sure the character is
even a real character; and if it were, it probably *wouldn't* be
pronounced like I pronounced it in the dream!

	I will sometimes also dream in the European languages I used
to spend more time on - usually in response to some contact with the
language during the day. These dreams seem to express a desire for
assurance that the language in question is still there somewhere in my
brain, in some form. Unless of course I'm exposed to the language
constantly for a while - then I start dreaming in it just because it's
what I'm used to hearing and communicating in.

	I also notice that people in dreams don't always speak in the
languages I'm used to hearing them use in real life.

					  Karen Steffen Chung
					  National Taiwan University
					  karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw