9.76, Disc: L2 and dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 18 22:22:14 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-76. Sun Jan 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.76, Disc: L2 and dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:51:49 -0600 (CST)
From:  Wen-Chao Li <lixxx112 at tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  L2 and Dreams

2)
Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:34:09 -0800 (PST)
From:  Dan Moonhawk Alford <dalford at haywire.csuhayward.edu>
Subject:  Disc: L2 & dreams

3)
Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:12:08 -0600
From:  Mahmoud Sadrai <sadra001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.73, Disc: L2 and Dreams

4)
Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:26:19 -0500
From:  koenig at lenny.haskins.yale.edu (laura l koenig)
Subject:  L? and dreams

5)
Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:18:20 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Kathleen Therese O'Connor" <kto2 at columbia.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.75, Disc: L2 and Dreams

Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:51:49 -0600 (CST)
From:  Wen-Chao Li <lixxx112 at tc.umn.edu>

A number of respondents have argued against the view of dreams being
alinguistic, citing as evidence dreams they had in which the "foreign
languages" they dreamt in were actually languages they had a little bit of
knowledge of.  But it seems to me that unless it can be proved that people
have foreign language dreams ONLY in languages they have knowledge of
(however little), an odd dream or two in a known language does not provide
evidence to counter the alinguistic hypothesis.

I myself am a frequent dreamer, and have often had dreams in which I am
not the person that I am in real life, and speak fluently the language of
the character I become, even though I do not have the slightest knowledge
of the language in question.  For example, I once dreamt that I was a
Russian dancer in a Russian ballet troupe, and that I was conversing with
my fellow dancers in fluent Russian, even though in real waking life I had
no knowledge of the language at all, other than the fact that if I were to
hear the language, say, on TV, I would be able to tell, from consonants,
intonations, etc., that it is Russian, and not, say, Polish or Czech.  I
have also had dreams where the process was self-conscious: I am in a
foreign country (don't know what country or what language), and wonder
whether I would be able to understand the
speech of the people there, but in the end, understanding just happens
without knowledge of the language at the linguistic level.  Also, I've had
dreams in which I communicate with animals, or am an animal myself, and
although we (me and my fellow animals) are not speaking English or any
other human language that I know of, we are clearly communicating notions
to each other, to the extend that the "story" in the dream can proceed
without any breakdown in communication.  For me, random language dreams of
this sort far outnumber dreams I have had in languages I was trying to
learn (German, Spanish, Greek -- cannot recall dreams in any).  Any views
on this?

Chris Li
University of Minnesota