9.80, Disc: L2 and dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 19 17:51:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-80. Mon Jan 19 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.80, Disc: L2 and dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:34:52 PST
From:  "Meshka Taquet" <meshka at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.76, Disc: L2 and dreams

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:57:08 +0100 (MET)
From:  Sxren Harder <sharder at ling.aau.dk>
Subject:  Re: 9.73, Disc: L2 and Dreams

3)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:15:00 +0100
From:  ahousen at vub.ac.be (Alex HOUSEN)
Subject:  L2 and Dreams

4)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:49:03 -0500 (EST)
From:  Ali Aghbar <AAGHBAR at grove.iup.edu>

Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:34:52 PST
From:  "Meshka Taquet" <meshka at hotmail.com>

this is just food for thought... i am not a linguist, but work as an
interpreter. my L1 is english and L2 is american sign language. i often
have dreams that contain both languages. one that was quite rememberable
has to so with a sentence construction i had been struggling with in the
L2. i had been working on a project for several weeks and was just stuck
on a section that the entire story hinged on. then out of know where i
had a dream in which i knew how to sign it. in my dream i never actually
signed it, but i was drawing pictures in the sand. i awoke, jumped from
bed and quickly taped it all on video. the next morning i realized that
the video was some of my best interpretation work to date.  another
common dream is one that contains no language. These were very common in
my childhood and i still remember them vividly. they are dreams that did
not have language but i can recall them clearly through my other senses.
One is about a barn that i often played in as a young girl. In this
dream i hear no language or sound but i sense the warm sun rays that
slide down from the slated roof and i can smell and see the dust that
circles in the light and i feel the urgent beckoning of my mothers
facial expression. almost of all the dreams of this type are from
childhood. these dreams have a sense of connection in which people are
more intuitively aware of each other body and facial expressions. there
is no language in these dreams to understand and all the detail that
language allows is missing, but the big picture is there and experienced
without the confusion of langugage.

meshka at hotmail.com