9.81, Disc: L2 and dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 19 17:57:40 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-81. Mon Jan 19 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.81, Disc: L2 and dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:24:56 -0600 (CST)
From:  fallou ngom <ngom at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.76, Disc: L2 and dreams

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:16:40 +0100 (GMT)
From:  sgolden at cc.uab.es (Sean Golden)
Subject:  Re: 9.75, Disc: L2 and Dreams

3)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:19:45 -0600
From:  Lynn Santelmann <santelmann at waisman.wisc.edu>
Subject:  L2 and Dreams

4)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:21:07 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>

5)
Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:52:40 -0500
From:  mcginn at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Subject:  Disc:  L2 and dreams

Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:24:56 -0600 (CST)
From:  fallou ngom <ngom at students.uiuc.edu>

I have always believed that dreams are part of "spiritual communication"
which does not necessarily need linguistic knowledge. I often dream in
foreign languages or in the 11 languages that I speak fluently but what I
realize to be the basis of the communication in my dreams is the sequences
of actions. Through actions and events that I take part or see people I
understand what's going on and even what my co-speakers say or intend to
say. In other words, the linguistic knowledge plays a small role in dreams
given that even if I do not speak with poeple, the communication is not
affected at all. This means that dreams are spiritual communications. I
believe that the same ways the humans communicate with natural languages,
their spirits can communicate through dreams. This makes sense in the
African context of Senegal where people talk to their ancestors in dreams
frequently. This leads me to say that linguistic knowledge is not
essential in dreams. Dreams are  means of communication of the spirits
which are universal and have its own language. Given that all humans
dream whether they remember it or not, the question is can we  assume a
"Universal Grammar" for human dreams as Chomsky did for the linguistic
knowledge in order to account for the basic communication properties of
dreams and see how they differ or overlap with the linguistic system.

Fallou Ngom
University of Illinois