9.92, Disc: L2 and Dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 20 23:36:52 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-92. Tue Jan 20 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.92, Disc: L2 and Dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:20:11 -0600 (CST)
From:  patricia kilroe <kilroe at csd.uwm.edu>
Subject:  re: L2 and dreams

2)
Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:20:50 +0200
From:  Florin <florin48 at fx.ro>
Subject:  L2 and Dreams

3)
Date:   Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:41:54 -1000
From:  Gerald B Mathias <mathias at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.81, Disc: L2 and dreams

4)
Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:20 -0500 (EST)
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org

Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:20:11 -0600 (CST)
From:  patricia kilroe <kilroe at csd.uwm.edu>

My comment has not to do with L2 per se, but as someone who is
currently working on the relationship between language and dreams more
generally, I can suggest a couple of references. Most interesting
insights into this relationship have been done by dream psychologists,
and in addition to standard works by Freud, Jung, and followers,
(including David Foulkes 1978, The Grammar of Dreams), I highly
recommend Harry Hunt 1989, The Multiplicity of Dreams. Hunt does a
typology of dreams, and does a persuasive job of showing that some
dreams may be generated by propositional language, others by imagery,
etc. (Something along the lines of right- vs. left- hemispheric
generation, although that is oversimplifying.) There are other works
by psychologists I could name for those interested.

>>From a linguist's point of view, I recommend a paper by Lakoff that I
found on the web and which, it would seem, appeared in a journal
called Dreaming in 1993. Lakoff makes a case for looking at dreams in
terms of conceptual metaphor; it is a very clear and insightful work,
but ignores the possibility of the multiplicity of dreams a la Hunt.

My own work is on the semiotics of dreams and language, focusing on
metaphor, metonymy, puns, and hyperbole, and I would love to hear from
anyone else working on this topic or who has an interest in it.

Patricia A. Kilroe

University of Southwestern Louisiana
e-mail (to change in February) kilroe at csd.uwm.edu