9.93, Sum: Chomsky/Foucault Interview

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 20 23:39:44 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-93. Tue Jan 20 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.93, Sum: Chomsky/Foucault Interview

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:37:01 +1000
From:  Stuart.Robinson at anu.edu.au (Stuart Robinson)
Subject:  Summary: Chomsky/Foucault Interview

Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 14:37:01 +1000
From:  Stuart.Robinson at anu.edu.au (Stuart Robinson)

In early December of last year, I posted a query to the Linguist List
concerning a "debate" (which was more of a joint interview) between
Noam Chomsky and Michel Foucault which I saw in the film
_Manufacturing Consent_. I was hoping to find the transcript from the
debate and/or the original footage. Unfortunately, I was only able to
track down the former.  It can be found in its entirety in the
following books:

Elder, Fons (ed.). 1974. _Reflexive Water: The Basic Concerns of
Mankind_.  Souvenir Press, pp. 170-187.

Davidson, Arnold I. (ed.). 1997. _Foucault and his Interlocutors_. U
Chicago P.

A selection from the interview can be found at <www2.uchicago.edu/
jnl-crit-inq/foucault/foucault.chomsky.html> or in the following book:

Achbar, Mark. 1994. _Manufacturing Consent_. U Toronto Press.

Apparently, the original footage would be difficult to obtain. In the
words of some of the people who responded:

"The video itself is virtually ungettable, since I know that the
Davidson went thought the sources to the relevant Dutch T.V. station,
but was never able to find out who owns the copyright to it."  --Diane
Brentari

"A Dutch broadcaster, NOS, would have the original video, but it will
be fairly costly to obtain a dub I expect."  --Mark Achbar

Many thanks to all of the people who replied.

-

Stuart Robinson <Stuart.Robinson at anu.edu.au>
Linguistics Department
Australian National University