9.131, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 28 13:07:25 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-131. Wed Jan 28 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.131, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 1998 00:31:50 EST
From:  PBarr21106 <PBarr21106 at aol.com>
Subject:  Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 1998 01:20:17 EST
From:  RNelsonjr <RNelsonjr at aol.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.89, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:39:02
From:  Earl Herrick <kfemh00 at tamuk.edu>

Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 1998 00:31:50 EST
From:  PBarr21106 <PBarr21106 at aol.com>

Maybe I did not read every post on prescriptivism. I do not recall ever seeing
anything in writing that indicated the whole thing, by which I guess Michael
Newman means prescriptivism, is considered a farce. Nor have I seen in print
anywhere the notion that standards serve no indispensable functional purpose;
but then I don't read far Left journals that often. I would need some
citations where this position has been voiced loudly and to little effect for
many years. In my post, I certainly did not imply that a standard was merely
one dialect. I teach the old saying that a language is just a dialect with an
army and a navy to drive home the point that all forms of language are a
dialect when put in a context. I also teach how we arrive at the Standard
English forms we use in public discourse, which involves a lot of elaboration
that most dialects do not undergo (some do, of course, but then those are
often described as regional languages rather than regional dialects; it IS all
political rather than scientific). The point is not that Standard forms should
not be taught but that those teaching them should not imbue them with some
sort of false superiority through specious appeals to logic and sonority, nor
should they denigrate nonstandard speech forms. When this IS done, it usually
has a strong basis in class, racial, national, ethnic and other social group
distinctions.
PBarr21106 at aol.com     Pat Barrett