9.136, Qs: Thematic roles, Chomsky/Levi-Strauss

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 28 23:36:38 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-136. Wed Jan 28 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.136, Qs: Thematic roles, Chomsky/Levi-Strauss

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:27:19 +1000
From:  Stuart.Robinson at anu.edu.au (Stuart Robinson)
Subject:  passivisation and thematic roles

2)
Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:57:22 -0500
From:  PCARINO <Paula_Carino at usccmail.lehman.com>
Subject:  CHOMSKY/LEVI-STRAUSS GRUDGE MATCH

Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:27:19 +1000
From:  Stuart.Robinson at anu.edu.au (Stuart Robinson)

Can anyone recommend work on thematic roles-particularly as they relate to
passiviation? I'm looking for works post-dating (and perhaps in response
to) Jackendoff's (1972) proposed constraint on passivisation in English,
which is basically as follows--the thematic role of the object of the"by"
phrase must outrank the subject on the following hierarchy: agent <
location/source/goal < theme. I'd like to see how or whether this
constraint works for other languages. (I know passivisation is highly
productive in many Bantu languages, but I'm not sure whether any trace of
such a hierarchy could be found nonetheless.) And I'd like to learn of
counterexamples in English.

Regards,
Stuart Robinson

-