9.135, Disc: L2 and dreams

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 28 23:34:11 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-135. Wed Jan 28 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.135, Disc: L2 and dreams

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:31:46 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sheri Wells-Jensen <sbwells at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.115, Disc: L2 and Dreams

2)
Date:  Sun, 25 Jan 98 22:23:00 GMT
From:  crwhiteley at tyco.geis.com
Subject:  Re: L2 and Dreams

Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:31:46 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sheri Wells-Jensen <sbwells at acsu.buffalo.edu>

When I wake from an especially vivid dream, I often can recall (what I
believe to be) actual phrases spoken in the dream.  In my L2 (Spanish)
these bits are often well-formed utterances.  Sometimes, though, I find
that I have appropriately chosen content words but the
morphology (and maybe function words as well) are *completely* wrong.
This has made me ponder whether there is a difference between accessing
content Vs. function words/morphemes in the dreaming mind.  Do I just
fill in the functional morphemes when I 'relisten' to the utterances (as
has been suggested by many.)

One thing I have done to try and discover something about this is to
listen to utterances made by people in their sleep.  In many of these,
(I've heard L2 and L1 examples) the whole utterance is well-formed
syntactically but I have to wonder about the content words.  For example,
can anyone dredge up a context for the following (I overheard this, I
swear):

'There's a fork and a piano tuner on the kitchen floor... and it's
*Not Okay*!'.

I know dreams can be odd but ...come on!  Could this really
be an accurate  reflection of anything?

If anyone has attested sleep-utterances (the nonmumbled kind), I'd be
eager to hear them.  That'd be an interesting corpus for sure.  If I get
 a reasonable number, I'll compile and distribute!

And, does anyone else remember hearing something recently on NPR about
brain images of subjects in REM sleep?  Or, did I dream that!?

Sheri