9.1006, Sum: Repetition phenomenon

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 6 17:18:03 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1006. Mon Jul 6 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1006, Sum: Repetition phenomenon

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:16:03 -0000
From:  "Amy McManus" <xmedia at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Summary

Date:  Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:16:03 -0000
From:  "Amy McManus" <xmedia at worldnet.att.net>

In my query 9-856 I inquired about the phenomenon that occurs in language
perception when a word repeated over & over suddenly looks or sounds odd
and unfamiliar. I would like to thank the following for their informative

Susan Ervin-Tripp	ervintr1 at socrates.berkeley.edu
Karin Stromswold	karin at ruccs.rutgers.edu
Lynne Murphy		M_Lynne_Murphy at baylor.edu
Carson T. Schutze	cschutze at protos.lifesci.ucla.edu
Tracy Mansfield		tmansfie at ineural.com
Suzette Haden Elgin	ocls at ipa.net
Gisbert Fanselow &
  Reinhold Kliegl		fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mike O'Connell		Michael.Oconnell at Colorado.edu
Markus Hiller 		hiller at sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de

The majority of respondents identified the phenomenon as "semantic
satiation", and noted that it has been studied in the field of psychology
for some time (S.Ervin-Tripp, K.Stromswold, C.Schutze, M.OConnell).

Also:

"Wallace Lambert talked about it in his research on
bilinguals..."(S.Ervin-Tripp).

"..the primary investigation of the phenomenon was done by Heinz Werner
before and after the world war" (G.Fanselow & R.Kliegl).

"When I was a grad student, we would discuss this in class and were told
that it was analogous to the way that, if you keep clenching and
unclenching your fist, you will suddenly discover that you're able to do it
again - there's a temporary paralysis due to muscle fatigue" (S.Haden
Elgin).

"I understand you are studying linguistic kinds of "jamais-vu" (coined in
analogy to "deja-vu" i.e. unknown as experienced as "recognized", jamais-vu
denotes the converse, i.e. well known experienced as "not recognized"). I
found this term in a textbook on cognitive psychology (Lindsay/Norman
1977)." (M.Hiller)

Tracy Mansfield cited her 1997 dissertation, a portion of which was
relevant to this topic, being concerned with the perception of speech
sounds vs. more arbitrary environmental sounds. She also says "It has
always fascinated me how a deliberate extraction of a sequence from its
context can cast it as noise. You might also decide to treat this as a
phenomenon that occurs across sensory modalities. It is addressed in a lot
of the literature on object recognition.."

Thank you again to all for such nourishing response.
Amy E. McManus
xmedia at worldnet.att.net