9.820, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 3 10:26:00 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-820. Wed Jun 3 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.820, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Jun 98 09:19 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject:  9.806, Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Wed, 03 Jun 1998 11:04:01 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Disc: recent change in English (apple sauce)

Date:  Mon, 1 Jun 98 09:19 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)

>There's no compounding the problem of 'fun game'.
>[etc.]

All of the discussion of "fun game" etc. seems to have strayed from
the point, which is precisely that the use of "fun" has >changed<.  I
agree that for many speakers it is now an adjective (as the examples
concerning comparitive forms, stress, etc. all demonstrate) but it
used to be a noun (as examples as "very much fun" and others
demonstrate).

-Joel
(joel at exc.com)