9.848, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 8 23:41:41 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-848. Tue Jun 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.848, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 7 Jun 1998 02:28:03 -0400
From:  Robert Orr <roborr at uottawa.ca>
Subject:  Re: 9.845, Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Sun, 7 Jun 1998 10:28:07 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

3)
Date:  Sun,  7 Jun 98 12:29:00 GMT
From:  crwhiteley at tyco.geis.com

Date:  Sun, 7 Jun 1998 02:28:03 -0400
From:  Robert Orr <roborr at uottawa.ca>

A brief comment - some names seem to be more prone to alteration than
others.  This is a very complex issue, and seems to involve whether
the names in question have an easily recognisable equivalent in the
target languages.

Examples:

The six rulers of Muscovy/Russia called "Ivan" are usually referred to
as "Ivan" in English, as are the three called "Vasilij", in contrast
to, e.g., "Petr", who is called "Peter", and "Jekaterina" who is
called "Catherine".  There is, however, a fairly well-known history
book, published (I think) earlier this century, which refers to a
certain ruler as "John (!) the Terrible".

Also, Macaulay (1800-1859) refers to Kings of France as "Lewis".

I've also seen a fairly recent Spanish text refer to Queen Elizabeth I
as "Isabel".