9.851, FYI: Linguistic Olympics,3-D/NLP Demo,Coling-ACL'98

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 9 21:18:45 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-851. Tue Jun 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.851, FYI: Linguistic Olympics,3-D/NLP Demo,Coling-ACL'98

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:35:36 -0700
From:  Tom Payne <tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Subject:  Linguistic Olympics

2)
Date:  Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:18:43 -1000
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  3-D/NLP Demo

3)
Date:  Fri, 29 May 98 16:13:01 EDT
From:  Priscilla Rasmussen <rasmusse at cs.rutgers.edu>
Subject:  Coling-ACL'98 Registration

Date:  Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:35:36 -0700
From:  Tom Payne <tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>

On May 16th, 1998, the first US edition of the "Linguistic Olympics"
took place in Eugene, Oregon. The Linguistic Olympics is a
good-natured educational activity that combines analytic reasoning and
cultural awareness. Secondary school students compete by solving
linguistic puzzles in languages they have never learned. The puzzles
are of varying degrees of difficulty, but all are solvable using
ordinary reasoning and analytic skills possessed by middle and high
school students. The Linguistic Olympics has been a yearly event in
Russia since 1965, and is credited with inspiring many individuals to
pursue linguistics as an academic field of study. In 1996 I had the
privilege of observing the Linguistic Olympics in Moscow, in which 450
students competed. Since then, Dr. Valentin Vydrin of the European
University of St. Petersburg and I have worked to develop an American
version of the Linguistic Olympics. A full report on our first efforts
can be found at the following URL:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~tpayne/lingolym/LOreport.htm

I would be very interested in your comments, and would be glad to
provide as much help as I can if anyone would like to try something
similar.