9.860, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 10 12:46:55 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-860. Wed Jun 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.860, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:45:48 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Johanna Laakso <jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject:  Re: 9.848, Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:03:40 -0300 (ADT)
From:  Wendy Burnett <wburnett at mta.ca>
Subject:  Recent changes in English

3)
Date:  Tue, 09 Jun 1998 17:20:07 -0400
From:  Ronald.Cosper at STMARYS.CA (Ronald Cosper)
Subject:  Re: 9.806, Disc: Recent Change in English

Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:45:48 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Johanna Laakso <jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi>

In Finland, the all-European tradition of "translating" foreign
Christian names obviously started to dwindle sometime in the end of
the 19th century and is now practically dead. I still remember reading
an old children's history book where even Finnicized names of
historical persons like "Yrj Washington" appeared - for today's
Finns, this sounds completely absurd.  The names of more ancient
European royalty, saints and other (especially religious) celebrities
are still known in a Finnicized form: the kings of France are always
called "Ludvig", never "Louis", and "Martti Luther" has long
traditions, but I don't remember ever having seen "Juhana Sebastian
Bach" or "Kaarle Marx".

Royalty is an exception in Finnish, too, although there seem to be
many competing practices. Scandinavian monarchs' names are (almost)
always translated: the King of Sweden is "Kaarle Kustaa"
(occasionally, "Carl Gustav" is also used). For rulers of more distant
countries, there seems to be more variation: the Queen of England is
sometimes "Elisabet", sometimes "Elizabeth" (strange in-between
spellings also appear...).

If I remember it right, a few years ago the Finnish Language Board
decided that the names of contemporary kings and queens (outside
Scandinavia, at least) should still be Finnicized in case there have
been historically known rulers of the same name. Thus, the present
King of Spain is Juan Carlos (not "Juhana Kaarle"), but if Prince
Charles becomes King of England, he will be called "Kaarle" like his
predecessors of the same name. Note that this concerns only ruling
monarchs; I have never seen Prince Charles being called "prinssi
Kaarle". And, of course, even the overwhelmingly Lutheran (or
secularized) Finns know the Pope only as "Johannes Paavali".

More research would be needed to clarify why (the common people's
increasing command of foreign languages?), in what kind of cases
(royalty?  rulers? religion with its connections to Biblical names?)
and when the practice of translating Christian names is given up. An
all-European comparison would be extremely interesting. I have a
feeling that in Hungary the tradition of translating Christian names
lived a little longer than in Finland: in addition to "Luther Mrton"
they also have - or used to have - "Marx Kroly". (Note that also the
order of the Christian name and the surname had to be reversed, like
in native Hungarian names.)

- - Johanna Laakso <Johanna.Laakso at Helsinki.FI> ----------------
- - Helsingin yliopisto, Suomalais-ugrilainen laitos ------------
- - University of Helsinki, Dept. of Finno-Ugrian Studies ---------