9.866, All: Be Sui (Sooey) Generous!

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 10 15:58:07 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-866. Wed Jun 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.866, All: Be Sui (Sooey) Generous!

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Helen Dry <hdry at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:44:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:  LINGUIST Network <linguist>
Subject:  Fund Drive

Date:  Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:44:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:  LINGUIST Network <linguist>

Dear LINGUIST Subscribers,

It's late in the giving season, but here we are with another appeal.
If you've looked at the new piggy illustration on our homepage,
no doubt you've ascertained that we still have some territory
to cover in our fund drive.

So far, the generous donations of our subscribers have funded the
editing services of Scott, Marty, and Anita for '98-99. The editing
services of Brett have also been partilly funded. But the amount
donated so far ($12,050) has still fallen short of what we need to
fund the essential programming services of Chris and Maria. (Our goal
is $16,000.)

The LINGUIST site has grown to the point that maintenance is becoming
an issue for us.  In addition to student editors, we need students who
can maintain the software and also adapt and refine it as new needs
arise.  If we cannot fund Chris and/or Maria we may need to slow web
updates as well as curtail planned improvements--e.g., the expansion
of our search capabilities and the completion of the Linguistic
Programs Directory and the Directory of Linguists.

If we don't reach our goal, one solution proposed by an interested
party is to initiate commercial sponsorship of our web pages. This could
mean, for example, that commercial messages similar to those that
pepper America Online, would begin appearing on LINGUIST. We are
interested in knowing how you, our subscribers, feel about this
prospect.

But, of our 10,000 subscribers, only 158 have so far made a 1998
contribution.  If subscribers who have not yet dug into their pockets
will now do so, then paid commercial support will become unnecessary.

Make a donation today by clicking below piggy's illustration on LINGUIST's
homepage. Or go directly to:
	http://linguistlist.org/donation.html
where you can donate by credit card.

Or mail a check to:

	The LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
	c/o Helen Aristar Dry
	Dept. of English
	Eastern Michigan University
	Ypsilanti, MI  48103

Once again, our heartiest thanks to the persons and institutions who
have already contributed to the fund.  Their names are listed below.

Helen & Anthony

For the LINGUIST Crew

1998 Contributors

Supporters:

Shanley E. M. Allen
Mark Balhorn
Elena Bashir
Katherine Bassein
Elabbas Benmamoun
Mayrene E. Bentley
Michael Bernstein
Suzanne E. Boyce
Harry M. Bracken & Elly Van Gelderen
Ann Bradlow
Mary Bucholtz
Jose Camacho and Liliana Sanchez
Andrew H. Carnie
Eugenia Casielles
Ulrike Christofori
Linda Coleman
Tom Cravens
Donna E. Cromer
Franz Dotter
Bruce Downing
Stanley Dubinsky
Vidal Valmala Elguea
Feride Erku
Barbara Di Eugenio
Wiltrud Fassbinder
James L. Fidelholtz
Will Fitzgerald
Kazuya Fujita
Rosanne Gangi-Gaertner
Chris Golston & Cheryl Chan
Claire Gronemeyer
Alan C. Harris
Darrell Hatt
Reiko Hayashi
Friedrich Heberlein
Caroline B. Heycock
Suzanne K. Hilgendorf
Henry M. Hoenigswald
Alice Horning
Angeliek Van Hout
Mary Jane Gaines Hurst
Shin Ja Hwang
Frances Ingemann
Martha Islas
Michael D. Kliffer
Yuriko K. Kite
Harriet E. Klein
Laura L. Koenig
Bernard R. Kripkee
Knud Lambrecht
Heike Lehnert
Judith N. Levi
Kathryn Lewis
John Limber
Vern M. Lindblad
Virginia Locastro
Sara Lopez
Sharon Lorinskas
Andrew W. Mackie
Maria Martin
Scott G. & Rebecca W. McGinnis
Louise E. McNally
Susan J. Mellor
Miriam Meyerhoff
Joyce A. Milambiling
Corey A. Miller
Rosa Graciela Montes
Victoria L. Muehleisen
Diane C. Nelson
Michael Newman
Lynn Nichols
Sumino Niida
Neil H. Olsen
OZARK CENTER FOR LANGUAGE STUDIES
Barbara Partee
Betty S Phillips
Terrance M. Potter
Karl J. Reinhardt
Marco T Riccioppo
B.S. Rosner
Malcolm D. Ross
Catherine Rudin
Jeffrey Runner
Patrick C. Ryan
Vieri Samek-Lodovici
Ronald Schaefer
FRANCAIS PRACTIQUE (Patrick Sauzet)
Andreas H. & Judy L. Schramm
Carol Myers Scotton
Leon A. Serafim
Mary B. Shapiro
Ute Smit
James Sneddon
Nicholas J. Sobin
Alicia Spiegel
Delia E. Suardiaz
Barbara S. Vance
Rodrik Wade
Joerg Wagner
Kathleen M. Ward
Anne Graffam Walker
Ruizhong Wang
Shinsuke Watanabe
Keith E. Watts
Gert Webelhuth
Doug Whalen
Katsuhiko Yabushita
Akiko Yoshimura

Patrons ($50 or more):

Barbara Abbott
Amalia Arvaniti
Leslie B Barratt
Stefano Bertolo
Belinda J. Bicknell
Garland D. Bills
E. Wayles Browne
Sharon Carlson
Irmengard Rauch & Gerald F. Carr
CASCADILLA PRESS
Wynn Chao & Kathleen Woon Man Ma
G. Tucker Childs
Bernard Comrie
Hortensia Curell
Mary E. Dalrymple
Karen Davis
Laura J. Downing
Daniel L. Everett
Julia Falk
Kazuhiko Fukushima
LODZ UNIVERSITY, Dept.of English Language
N. Louanna Furbee
Nik Gisborne
David C. Gohre
Charles E. & Lyubomira P. Gribble
Pius ten Hacken
Barbara E. Olson-Herrarte & Dale D. Olson
Earl M. Herrick
Richard Hudson
Carolyn Kirkpatrick
Peter Ladefoged
Elizabeth Liddy
Gerardo Lorenzino
Sandro Menzel
M. Lynne Murphy
Mari J.B. Olsen
Andrea G. Osburne
Marc Authier & Lisa A. Reed
M.L. Roecklein
Klaus Schubert
Sharon L. Shelly
Margaret Speas
Robert L. Trammell
Theo Venneman
Thomas Wasow
Ann K. Wehmeyer
Frank Wijnen
Ronnie B. Wilbur
Wendy K. Wilkins

Mainstays ($100 or more):

    *Individuals*
Anonymous
Anonymous
Claudia Brugman
Douglas Dee
Alice Faber
Graeme Forbes
Vicki Fromkin
Keith Denning
Sungshim Hong
James J. Jenkins
Kenji Kashino
Youngsuk Lee
Michael Patrick O'Connor
Monica Macaulay & Joe Salmons
Rebecca Larche Moreton
Linda Stump Rashidi
Carlota S. Smith
Hiroaki Tanaka
Karl Teeter
Catherine Walter
Margaret E. Winters
Arnold M Zwicky

   *Institutions*

ADDISON WESLEY LONGMAN
JOHN BENJAMINS, INC.
BLACKWELL PUBLISHERS
CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS-USA
CSLI
MOUTON DE GRUYTER
EDINBURGH UP
LAWRENCE ERLBAUM ASSOCIATES
GARLAND PUBLISHING, INC.
HOLLAND ACADEMIC GRAPHICS (HAG)
IULC PUBLICATIONS
JOHN BENJAMINS PUBLISHING CO.
LINGUISTICS CLUB, U OF CONN
LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA
LONELY PLANET PUBLICATIONS
MIT PRESS (Books Division)
OMNILEX INC
OXFORD UP
PACFIC LINGUISTICS
ROSENBERG & SELLIER
ROUTLEDGE
SUMMER INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTICS
UNIVERSITEIT UTRECHT
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, THE LINGUISTICS PROGRAM

Support pledged:

Cassell
Syntaxis