9.978, Qs: Relevance, Software, Intrusive Consonants

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 29 17:35:58 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-978. Mon Jun 29 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.978, Qs: Relevance, Software, Intrusive Consonants

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:12:58 +0900
From:  Yoshioka Junko <i98de03 at stu.kansai-gaidai-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  "query" Any volunteers?  "Current Relevance"

2)
Date:  Sat, 27 Jun 1998 09:59:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Michael Kliffer <kliffer at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>
Subject:  Q: reviews of translation software

3)
Date:  Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:20:47 +0100
From:  M J Gibson <mjgibs at essex.ac.uk>
Subject:  Intrusive Consonants

Date:  Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:12:58 +0900
From:  Yoshioka Junko <i98de03 at stu.kansai-gaidai-u.ac.jp>

Could you contact with me directly?
   I'm a graduate school student of Kansai University of Foreign
Studies, Japan.  I'm a researcher of the Present Perfect and the
Present Perfect Progressive.  I have been studying the two mysterious
forms in terms of both the English Usage and the English Teaching for
three years.  I totally agree that the essential meaning of the
Present Perfect is "Current Relevance"(Quirk et al. 1985:189-190).
I've just started rethinking "Current Relevance". (Jespersen 1933:245,
Quirk et al. 1985:195)

   Which do you prefer to use?

(1) Tom is a very famous singer in the world.  However, he has been in hospital for five years
    (now he is over 70 years old). There is no possibility that he will have his concert in
    the future.

Q1: ( Have you ever been, Did you ever go ) to a Tom's concert?

Q2: ( Have you ever met, Did you ever meet ) Tom?

(2) Newton is dead.

Q3: Newton ( has explained, explained ) the movements of the moon.

(3)

Q4: A: Have you ever been to Japan?
    B: Yes, I ( have been there, went there ) in 1960.

If you don't mind, please tell me your nationality.  Thank you for your time!

 $B5H2,=a;R(B
 i98de03 at stu.kansai-gaidai-u.ac.jp