9.338, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 7 02:32:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-338. Sat Mar 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.338, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 6 Mar 1998 02:34:29 -0600
From:  "Patrick C. Ryan" <proto-language at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re:      9.331, Disc: State of Comparative Linguistics

2)
Date:  Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:13:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

3)
Date:  Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:30:06 -0500
From:  "Karl V.(van Duyn) Teeter" <kvt at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Comparative grammar

4)
Date:  Fri, 6 Mar 1998 20:27:48 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)

Date:  Fri, 6 Mar 1998 02:34:29 -0600
From:  "Patrick C. Ryan" <proto-language at worldnet.att.net>

On March 5, "Henry M. Hoenigswald" <henryh at BABEL.ling.upenn.edu>
wrote:

>This is a comment on Manaster's message.  Historical-comparative
>linguistics has been a superbly practiced, internally consistent,
>testable, progressing (e.g. Indoeuropean, Algonquian, Uralian.. ) but
>chronically misstated endeavor: see Anna M. Davies, La linguistica
>dell'ottocento (now also in English), not to mention Saussure's
>complaint a century ago to the effect that he had to spend time and
>pain telling his colleagues "what it is they do".
>Comparative-historical linguists have been their own worst enemies
>for a long time.  Proposing superfamilies on impressionistic grounds
>is no substitute for constructing them on better grounds.

It is difficult to believe that Altaic has been proposed on
"impressionistic grounds".

Since that was the major example cited, I was wondering if Professor
Hoenigswald believes that Altaic is such an example.

And, whether it is or not, I would be interested to know if he feels
Nostratic (minimum definition: AA+IE) is the result of similarly
shallow research.

Finally, I wish he would tell us specifically what he rightly rejects
because of poorly documented "impressionistic" hypotheses.

PATRICK C. RYAN <PROTO-LANGUAGE at WorldNet.att.net>
(501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947
9115 W. 34th St. * Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 * USA
WEBPAGES: <"http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803">
and PROTO-RELIGION:
*<"http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/
indexR.html">*