9.443, Disc: Short Diphthongs

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 23 23:31:33 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-443. Mon Mar 23 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.443, Disc: Short Diphthongs

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:50:06 +0000
From:  Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho <jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr>
Subject:  Disc.: Short Diphthongs

2)
Date:  Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:06:26 +0100
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>
Subject:  Re: 9.355, Disc: Short Diphthongs

3)
Date:  Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:31:06 -0000
From:  Dr James M Scobbie <j.scobbie at sls.qmced.ac.uk>
Subject:  short diphthong in  Scots

Date:  Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:50:06 +0000
From:  Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho <jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr>

John Rennison [LINGUIST List 9.423 : Message 1: short diphthongs]
wrote :

Perhaps the problem with a moraic analysis lies with moras. I have no
trouble analyzing diphthongs with alternating length in Government
Phonology: there is a single contour melody which is attached to one
vs. two skeletal points. There is also a third possibility: two
(monophthongal) melodies and two skeletal points. The fourth logical
possibility (2 melodies, 1 x) is impossible as the representation of a
diphthong -- it would have to be a monophthong.

I'm afraid I don't know where the problem lies.

There is no problem at all, indeed, if :
(a) 'single contours' are viewed as primitive ;
(b) moras and nucleic points are seen as different objects.

Assuming (a), the contour, like any segmental prime, can be attached
to one (or two) skeletal positions. On the other hand, it may be
descriptively interesting to distinguish between one contour
associated to two skeletal points, and 'two monophthongal melodies'
attached to two points (e.g., 'true' diphthongs versus V+C
respectively).

However, it can be discussed whether it is adequate for a theory of
phonological primitives to accept diphthongs as basic melodies. In my
opinion, it is like if 'E', 'O' and 'Y' were accepted as primitives,
with the same status as I, A, U, instead of the current analysis of /e
o y/ as I+A, U+A, I+U. Thus, a diphthong like /ey/ should be obtained
from I and A only, in such a way that the 'contour' *results* from the
linking of elements to the skeleton. Now, this clearly implies two
positions for diphthongs, regardless of their length. Hence a first
point where the problem lies : if short diphthongs count as two
positions, long diphthongs must count as three.

Regarding (b), in the analysis of diphthongs proposed by John Rennison
moraic quantity is ruled out. If length and moraic quantity could be
shown to be distinct properties, as is suggested by Scots
(cf. LINGUIST List 9.371 and 9.411), then moraic quantity ought to be
assigned to a specific moraic tier. My point in my previous message
(9.355) (I'm afraid I didn't make it very explicit) was that we should
avoid such a dissociation between skeletal positions and moras, for
the same reason as the one that disallows primitive diphthongs :
simplicity. (Though I'm aware that this simplicity entails a lot of
complex problems).

Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho
1, rue Henri Poincare
75020  Paris
France
Tel./fax : 01 43 64 34 18
(If calling from outside France,
please replace the prefix '01' with '331'.)

Departement de linguistique
Faculte des Sciences Humaines et Sociales - Sorbonne
Universite Rene Descartes - Paris V