9.457, Disc: NLP and Syntax

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 25 23:55:12 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-457. Wed Mar 25 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.457, Disc: NLP and Syntax

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:45:57 +0100
From:  Pius ten Hacken <tenhacken at ubaclu.unibas.ch>
Subject:  Re: 9.383, Disc: NLP and Syntax

2)
Date:  Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:54:06 +0100
From:  pmenzel at club-internet.fr (Peter Menzel)
Subject:  NLP and Syntax

Date:  Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:45:57 +0100
From:  Pius ten Hacken <tenhacken at ubaclu.unibas.ch>

In reaction to Phil Bralich's posting in Vol. 9-383 I would like to
restate my point briefly as follows:

The goal of linguistics is an explanatory account of the data. A
descriptive account of the data is not the goal of linguistics. It is
not even an intermediate goal. It is only a side effect of the search
for an explanatory account of the data.

As a result, a full descriptive account of the data has by itself very
little value scientifically. It does not indicate any degree of
maturity of a scientific theory.

Therefore a partial explanatory account is better for a linguistic
theory than a full descriptive account.

If you do not accept this view of linguistic theory, you cannot make
sense of much of scientific practice. Some examples: Why do so many
articles and conference presentations START with a presentation of the
data rather than ending there ? Why do linguists never use a
parser-generator to get the most efficient CFG for their data set (or
suggest a more efficient one) ?  Why do so many articles and
presentations take data from different languages into account or apply
a theory developed for one language to data from another language ?
The answers to these and many other questions lies in the above
description of the relationship between explanatory accounts,
descriptive accounts and the goal of linguistic theory.

The implementation of a syntactic theory as a parser can only test its
amount of descriptive adequacy. Therefore, there is no reason for
linguists to accept it as a valid criterion for the evaluation of a
linguistic theory.

Of course a parser aims at a full descriptive account of the
data. This indicates where the aims of linguistic theory and parsers
diverge.

I apologize if readers find this a repetition of points I made in my
earlier postings. Phil Bralich's last reaction suggests, however, that
for at least one reader I did not make my position clear enough so
far.

Pius ten Hacken

Dr. Pius ten Hacken
Institut fuer Informatik/Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Universitaet Basel
Petersgraben 51            ||   Tel. +41-61-267'33'38
CH-4051 Basel              ||   Fax +41-61-267'32'51
Switzerland                ||   email: tenhacken at ubaclu.unibas.ch

web page: http://www.unibas.ch/LIlab/staff/tenhacken