9.667, FYI: Vocal Immitation, Correction Twin Speech

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 7 10:32:28 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-667. Thu May 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.667, FYI: Vocal Immitation, Correction Twin Speech

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 05 May 1998 10:43:57
From:  "Dr. John Skoyles" <skoyles at globalnet.co.uk>
Subject:  Vocal imiation: new theory in the commentary ejournal Noetica

2)
Date:  Tue, 5 May 1998 10:24:27 -0700
From:  comrie at almaak.usc.edu (Bernard Comrie)
Subject:  correction

Date:  Tue, 05 May 1998 10:43:57
From:  "Dr. John Skoyles" <skoyles at globalnet.co.uk>

Recent findings upon the area in monkeys homologous to the human Broca's
area have radically changed our understanding of its underlying
neurobiology. In particular, it puts the issue of the links between vocal
imiation (the transformation of speech sounds into speech motor commands),
and the nature, learning and evolution of speech hot on the agenda of
issues in speech science. Last week, I reviewed the issues involved and
proposed a new 'motor theory of speech' that takes accounts of recent
neuroscience findings in the commentary ejournal Noetica.
http://psy.uq.edu.au/CogPsych/Noetica/OpenForumIssue9/

Here is its abstract:

Mirror Neurons and the motor theory of speech.
Dr. John R. Skoyles
skoyles at globalnet.co.uk
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~skoyles/index.htm

Mirror (imitation) neurons have recently been discovered in the homologous
area to the Broca area in monkeys (Rizzolatti, Fadiga, Gallese & Fogassi,
1996; Rizzolatti & Arbib, in press; Gallese, Fadiga, Fogassi & Rizzolatti,
1996). How might the existence and evolution of speech link to them? Here I
argue that informationally the one unique feature of human speech is that
it is a vocabulary-based communication. As such, its existence requires
that human infants can directly learn from overheard speech thousands of
words in a short time by direct imitation. Cognitively, how infants vocally
imitate overhead words is unexplained. In a revised motor theory of speech
I tackle this problem. The motor theory of speech arose to explain why
speech (in the form of phones) is characterised by motor articulation
information. Originally, it did so in terms of enabling vocal mimicry and
word perception (Liberman, 1957, p. 122). Subsequently, the imitation role
was dropped; I restore it. Speech, I suggest, contains motor information so
that infants can quickly imitate all its thousands of words merely from
hearing them. Vocal imitability is created by a cognitive trick involving
speech motor goals: these goals are always innate high-level auditory
processing categorial invariants (innate and processed in the Wernicke's
area). Because they are innate, these goals are easily extracted by infants
from speech. This allows an infant's motor system to duplicate them and so
duplicate vocalisations. This gaol duplication occurs in imitation circuits
(using mirror neurons in the Broca's area).