9.681, Qs: Voiced/Unvoiced,Nouns (Fem),Syntax,Adpositions

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun May 10 13:43:37 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-681. Sun May 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.681, Qs: Voiced/Unvoiced,Nouns (Fem),Syntax,Adpositions

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 8 May 1998 15:00:01 +0200
From:  "Felix Alvarez" <felixalv at arrakis.es>
Subject:  Voice/Unvoiced

2)
Date:  Sat, 9 May 1998 04:33:21 EDT
From:  Softclaws <Softclaws at aol.com>
Subject:  Anomalous Feminine Nouns

3)
Date:  Sat, 9 May 1998 16:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:  jaret at u.washington.edu
Subject:  'Basic word order' in the MP

4)
Date:  Sun, 10 May 1998 13:59:10 +1000
From:  Alan Libert <lnarl at cc.newcastle.edu.au>
Subject:  Nominative Objects of Adpositions

Date:  Fri, 8 May 1998 15:00:01 +0200
From:  "Felix Alvarez" <felixalv at arrakis.es>

1. Explanations as to the difference between voiced and unvoiced
sounds are often proffered in both training courses and the literature
on the basis of "you can tell by feeling your larynx - there's
vibration in the case of "voiced" and none in the case of
"unvoiced". (As shorthand, I'll call this the "larynx
explanation"). For me, this has never been all that satisfactory, as I
always still seemed to feel some vibration in the so-called
"voiceless" sounds!

2. Anderson in his book "Cognitive Psychology and its Implications"
(p58) talks of "Categorical Perception" and the fact that the
difference between "voiced" and "unvoiced" categories is a 60 ms
(microsecond) lag between release and voicing. This period of time is
known as "voice onset time". He says that what we are perceiving when
distinguishing between "voiced" and "unvoiced" sounds is this time
lag. In other words, vibration STILL OCCURS in both voiced and
unvoiced categories! This seems to explain why I could always still
feel vibrations in the vocal chords even when tutors said otherwise!

3. I do not pretend to be an expert in phonetics/phonology and so I
would be most interested in hearing others' comments. In particular,
I'd be interested to know whether most people's training has provided
them the "larynx" or the "voice onset time" explanation as the
foundation for understanding the distinction voiced/unvoiced. If the
"voice onset time" information is correct, then some teacher training
courses (at least) may be misinforming their students! And teachers,
in their turn, may pass this dud information on to their pupils!

4. Ofcourse, there IS another explanation - i.e. that I have
misunderstood the explanation given by Anderson. In which case, I
would be happy to listen to anyone else familiar with Anderson's book
(p58) and/or with the particular point of discussion so as to shed
some light on it.

Felix Alvarez
felixalv at arrakis.es