9.727, Disc: Recent changes in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 16 15:53:01 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-727. Sat May 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.727, Disc: Recent changes in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 07:29:59 -0700
From:  Magda Ciesla <us949 at victoria.tc.ca>
Subject:  Re:9.680, Disc: Recent changes in English

2)
Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 19:23:54 -0400
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re: 9.720, Disc: Recent Change in English

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 19:14:35 -0500
From:  Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at MUW.Edu>

4)
Date:  Sat, 16 May 1998 20:25:59 +0200
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>
Subject:  Disc: 9.682, Recent Change in English

5)
Date:  Wed, 13 May 1998 23:57:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)
Subject:  Re: 9.701, Disc: Recent Change in English

Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 07:29:59 -0700
From:  Magda Ciesla <us949 at victoria.tc.ca>

In reference to the many comments on the pronunciation of "egg", etc.:

The dialect spoken on the Chesapeake peninsula (Maryland/Virginia) seems
worth considering in this context: I have met speakers there who use some
vowels that are monophthongs in standard English as triphthongs of sorts
(and others as diphthongs, similar to other dialects). Examples:
(1) /e/: "bed" or "bad" - /beye:d/ or /beye:d/
(2) "dog" - /doug~/ (the "~" denotes a clearly audible shwa here)

Since I haven't heard this for a while perhaps someone else would correct
or supplement my scant data here...? (perhaps Keith Goeringer?)

Magda