9.733, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun May 17 20:49:28 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-733. Sun May 17 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.733, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 17 May 1998 09:00:04 +0400
From:  "Isa Kocher" <786isa at gto.net.om>
Subject:  Re: 9.727, Disc: Recent changes in English

2)
Date:  Sun, 17 May 1998 02:23:47 -0400
From:  Joseph F Foster <fosterjf at email.uc.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.729, Disc: Recent Change in English, "the Ukraine"

3)
Date:  Sun, 17 May 1998 06:29:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Rebecca Larche Moreton <mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>
Subject:  Recent change in English

Date:  Sun, 17 May 1998 09:00:04 +0400
From:  "Isa Kocher" <786isa at gto.net.om>

- --------

> From: LINGUIST Network <linguist at linguistlist.org> Some younger
> responders expressed their doubts as to whether the
>following
> "old" pronunciations had ever really existed:
>    [0lbukeRk] (instead of [&lbuk at Rki]) for _Albuquerque_
>    [YlYnwa]   (instead of [YlYn9y(s)]) for _Illinois_
>    [yos at mayt] (instead of [yosEmYti])  for _Yosemite_
> and that got me to start doubting myself. Can anyone among the
> "older" fellow LINGUIST-Listers confirm either existence or
> non-existence of the "old" pronunciations before say mid 1950-s?

Having passed the half century mark by a few years, I might submit
these personal observations:

[&lbuk at Rki] for _Albuquerque_ is the only way I can recall that I have
ever heard it.

[YlYnwa] for _Illinois_ strikes me as bizarre and I can't imagine
anyone ever having said it except as a teenage joke after a French
class.

[yos at mayt] and [yosEmYti] for _Yosemite_ seem both to be forms I can
recall having heard, although the former seems more "American" to my
ear, and the latter more "TV announcer".

Isa