9.775, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun May 24 22:52:42 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-775. Sun May 24 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.775, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 25 May 1998 09:58:35 +0800
From:  "Sean Jensen" <seanj at seanj.demon.co.uk>
Subject:  Disc: Recent Changes in English (fun as adjective)

2)
Date:  Sat, 23 May 1998 12:57:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 9.774, Disc: Recent change in English

3)
Date:  Sat, 23 May 1998 19:27:01 -0400
From:  ewb2 at cornell.edu (E. Wayles Browne)
Subject:  Re: Recent change in English

4)
Date:  Sun, 24 May 1998 15:09:10 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

Date:  Mon, 25 May 1998 09:58:35 +0800
From:  "Sean Jensen" <seanj at seanj.demon.co.uk>

Two LINGUIST correspondents have stated in this thread that the Oxford
English Dictionary does not list "fun" as an adjective. The OED (2nd
edition, 1989) in article 3, sub voce, says "... Also attrib. passing
into adj. with the sense 'amusing', 'entertaining', 'enjoyable'."

The earliest citation given which has a clearly adjectival force is
dated 1853, and is the title of a work by N.P. Willis: "Fun jottings;
or, Laughs I have taken pen to."

S.

Sean Jensen
e-mail: seanj at seanj.demon.co.uk
www: www.seanj.demon.co.uk
tel: +86 20 8736 0065
fax: +86 20 8736 0065
snail: Unit 5-B, Block 7, Jin Ya Hua Yuan, Er Sha Dao, Guangzhou 510100,
China