9.1532, Qs: ESL/Arabic, Psycoling Text, Unaccusativity

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 3 02:21:55 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1532. Tue Nov 3 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1532, Qs: ESL/Arabic, Psycoling Text, Unaccusativity

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:10:45 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Heidi B. Harley" <hharley at BABEL.ling.upenn.edu>
Subject:  ESL for Arabic native speakers

2)
Date:  Mon, 02 Nov 1998 12:55:43 +0000
From:  mau at canes.gsw.edu
Subject:  Psycholinguistic Teaching Materials

3)
Date:  Tue, 03 Nov 1998 10:06:24 -0800
From:  Bert Peeters <Bert.Peeters at utas.edu.au>
Subject:  Unaccusativity Query Clarified

Date:  Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:10:45 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Heidi B. Harley" <hharley at BABEL.ling.upenn.edu>

Dear Linguist List members --
I'm writing on behalf of an ESL instructor-friend of mine who is teaching
English in a high school to some recently-immigrated teenage speakers of
Arabic. She has taught ESL before, but not to Arabic speakers, and was
wondering if other teachers out there have any specific hints about how
to adapt her curriculum in ways that might be helpful to them: particular
materials, drills, cultural tips, identification of areas that are
particularly tricky or unusual given Arabic as the first language, places
where it might be helpful for her to understand some aspect of Arabic
grammar or writing system, etc. Please respond to me, Heidi Harley, at
this address (hharley at ling.upenn.edu), and I'll forward to her and also
summarize to the list if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks very much,
best,
Heidi