9.1517, Disc: German Spelling

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 30 09:57:06 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1517. Fri Oct 30 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1517, Disc: German Spelling

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:26:36 +0100
From:  "John R. Rennison" <john at ling.univie.ac.at>
Subject:  Re: 9.1493, Disc: The Fight over German Spelling

2)
Date:  Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:47:56 +0100
From:  Ralf <Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at>
Subject:  Re: 9.1511, Disc: German Spelling Reform

3)
Date:  Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:33:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:  Natalia Neumann <N.Neumann at uea.ac.uk>
Subject:  9.1504, Disc: German Spelling Reform

4)
Date:  Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:30:52 +0100 (MET)
From:  Gerhard Leitner <leiger at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:  German spelling reform

Date:  Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:26:36 +0100
From:  "John R. Rennison" <john at ling.univie.ac.at>

Alexis Manaster-Ramer, Martin Haspelmath and Gisbert Fanselow make
several interesting points, but given the international coverage of
the Linguist List and the claim of Linguistics to universality, much
of what they say is (forgive me -- I say it as a citizen of Austria,
where German is the official language) parochial.

Put pointedly: Not only were the people who "reformed" German
spelling not linguists; not a single linguistic criterion has
been used in the so-called reform.

If the international linguistic community wants to do something
sensible, then they should impress on the governments of countries
where German is spoken that they want to see linguistic criteria
used. Otherwise all of them will still have to go through the
pointless task of memorizing thousands of idiosyncratic spellings (as
I had to) if they ever want to learn the language. It has broken my
heart 4 times to see each of my daughters forced to suppress their
knowledge of pronunciation and pretend to be able to "hear" the
"silent h" in words. But that's what primary school teachers here
demand.

Some linguistic criteria that could be used are:

1. One-to-one correspondence between segments and graphemes. (It's
possible with the existing alphabet.)

2. Compatibility with the spelling systems of other
(esp. neighbouring) languages.

And some pseudo-linguistic criteria that could be abandoned are:

1. Lexical morphemes should always be spelled the same way. (Untenable
for ablaut verbs anyway)

Finally, a more philosophical question:

Who is better equipped to reform the spelling of a language -- someone
who knows about linguistic structure and the pros and cons of the
spelling systems of several other languages, or someone who knows all
the idiosyncrasies of the present spelling of the language (and
perhaps its history)? Surely the first. So why is it only people of
the second type that are making all the decisions?

If we are to be blamed for this so-called reform, then NOW is the time
to stand up and say what we as linguists would recommend.

John Rennison

(Ao. Univ.-Prof. Dr.) John R. Rennison
Dept. of Linguistics, University of Vienna

Inst. f. Sprachwissenschaft          e-mail: john at ling.univie.ac.at
Berggasse 11
A-1090 Wien                          Fax:          +43 1 3155347
Austria / Europe                     Tel.:         +43 1 3103886/32

                  http://www.univie.ac.at/linguistics/personal/john