9.1518, Disc: German Spelling Reform

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 30 11:09:38 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1518. Fri Oct 30 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1518, Disc: German Spelling Reform

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:23:41 +0100 (MET)
From:  "Paola Beninca'" <beninca at ux1.unipd.it>
Subject:  Re: 9.1511, Disc: German Spelling Reform

2)
Date:  Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:46:06 -0500
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>

3)
Date:  Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:50:07 +0000
From:  Martin Haspelmath <haspelmath at eva.mpg.de>
Subject:  Disc: Spelling Reform

4)
Date:  Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:24:54 +0100 (MET)
From:  "Jens S. Larsen" <jens at cphling.dk>

Date:  Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:23:41 +0100 (MET)
From:  "Paola Beninca'" <beninca at ux1.unipd.it>

Fortunately, most of what I wanted to write to linguist about Spelling
reform has been said very well by Richard Sproat. Orthography is a very
delicate matter to deal with, it has to do not directly with sounds but with
the mental representation of words (lexical and functional elements and
their relations): this is not just a generative point of view (Chomsky and
halle 1968, p.49), linguists and grammarians of the XVII-XIXc, undertaking
the description of dialects without an official orthography (spelling)
realised that it is impossible to have a natural spelling that directly
reflects the sound of a language; there has to be a discrepancy between
sounds and signs, as a consequence of morphological alternations and related
phonological rules. Orthography, with its apparent inconsistency, has the
task to express mophological relations between lexical elements and mantain
recognisable the lexical basis of all 'lexical families'. Spelling reforms
affect a very subtle (and not always evident) net through which the
linguistic elements of a language are held together.
Paola Beninca'
Dipartimento di Linguistica
via Beato Pellegrino, 1
I-35137 Padova