10.530, Qs: Hebrew, Italian

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 13 04:47:29 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-530. Tue Apr 13 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.530, Qs: Hebrew, Italian

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:11:13 +0300
From:  "Simona Herdan" <simona at interplus.ro>
Subject:  Possession in Hebrew

2)
Date:  Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:34:07 +0200
From:  msweinst at mscc.huji.ac.il
Subject:  'guerre des langues'

Date:  Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:11:13 +0300
From:  "Simona Herdan" <simona at interplus.ro>

Hello Linguists,

I am gathering information for a project on various aspects of
possession in Hebrew. What I find most interesting is the use of
"there is/are" to render the present tense of "to have" and of the
forms of "to be" for the other tenses. These verbal forms are followed
by a preposition indicating goal/direction. So, literally, a sentence
like "I had a book" would be translated as "A book WAS TO ME".

I wonder if such correspondences between "to have" and "to be" exist
in other languages too. I would very much appreciate any help in
finding references to studies dealing with possession in general and
also with this particular aspect of Hebrew or of another language. Any
comments are welcome.

Please respond to me privately at simona at interplus.ro
Thank you all in advance.
I will summarize to the list if there is enough response.

Simona Herdan
Linguistics student
University of Bucharest,
Romania