10.1210, Qs: Metaphor, AUX, Setswana/Sesothu clicks

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 17 15:46:19 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1210. Tue Aug 17 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1210, Qs: Metaphor, AUX, Setswana/Sesothu clicks

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:56:24 +0200
From:  "zmaalej" <zmaalej at gnet.tn>
Subject:  On Metaphor as Evaluative Modality

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:02:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Erika Mitchell <erikamit at yahoo.com>
Subject:  History of AUX

3)
Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:01:40 +1000
From:  nreid at metz.une.edu.au (Nick Reid)
Subject:  Setswana and Sesothu clicks

Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:56:24 +0200
From:  "zmaalej" <zmaalej at gnet.tn>

Dear List Members,

Metaphor has been studied as process and product (Gibbs, 1999;
Allbritton, 1995; etc.), as a similarity-creating phenomenon (Ortony,
1979; Glucksberg & Keysar, 1990; etc.), as enhancing intimacy between
speaker and hearer (Cohen, 1979), etc. However, I have seen very few
studies (Averill, 1990) of metaphor as an evaluative modality, i.e. as
an instantiation of speaker attitude. Could anybody direct me to any
relevant literature? Your collaboration is mostly valued. Thank you in
advance.

Zouhair Maalej,
Department of English Chair,
Faculty of Letters, Manouba, 2010,