10.1261, FYI: Quote about Chomsky/TIME, Vocal Emotions

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 30 20:36:29 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1261. Mon Aug 30 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1261, FYI: Quote about Chomsky/TIME, Vocal Emotions

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:02:57 +0200
From:  Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>
Subject:  Quote about Chomsky in TIME magazine

2)
Date:  Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:12:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  Marc Schroeder <marc at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>

Date:  Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:02:57 +0200
From:  Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>

Shari L Cole <tropicalbeach at juno.com> wrote on Thu, 1 Apr 1999
Subject: TIME Chomsky Reference

>A short time ago I pulled a reference to an interview in TIME from the
>Linguist List.  I don't know who sent it in because after I wrote it
>down, I erased the message.  Would someone with the correct reference
>be so kind as to forward it to me?  The reference TIME, A changed Noam
>Chomsky simplifies by Margalit Fox, December 5, 1998 does not exist.

At 10:30 13/04/99 +0000, Shari Cole wrote:
Dear Jeff,

>Thank you for responding to my question.  Many people responded and
>through those responses I now have a complete reference .....
>THE NEW YORK TIMES, Dec. 5, 98, pgs. A15 & A17, A changed Noam Chomsky
>simplifies his revolution, by Margalit Fox.
>Also appearing in the Canadian daily, NATIONAL POST, on the Discovery
>page A17, Dec. 8, 98, same title, same author.

Dear all,

It appears that a very similar article about Chomsky also appeared at the
following site, written by a different author.

http://agoralang.com/index.html?agora/pub.html

January 1999 Agora Newsletter Vol. 5 No.1

FEATURED ARTICLE
Chomsky Reinvents Himself

"Noam Chomsky who is considered the father of modern linguistics, has
simplified his approach to how humans acquire language and how they work...."
<snip>
"Despite the change in his theory, Chomsky's ultimate goal is the same, "is
trying to find out how humans really work." (article by Kara Schwartz)"

best,

Jeff

Jeff ALLEN - Technical Manager/Directeur Technique
European Language Resources Association (ELRA)  &
European Language resources - Distribution Agency (ELDA)
(Agence Europe'enne de Distribution des Ressources Linguistiques)
55, rue Brillat-Savarin
75013   Paris   FRANCE
Tel: (+33) 1.43.13.33.33 - Fax: (+33) 1.43.13.33.30
mailto:jeff at elda.fr
http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html