10.1839, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 1 14:58:17 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1839. Wed Dec 1 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1839, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:52:20 +0000
From:  Suzanne Urbanczyk <urbansu at ucalgary.ca>
Subject:  What Exactly Are Allophones?

2)
Date:  Wed, 01 Dec 1999 11:30:15 +0100
From:  Francisco Dubert <fgdubert at usc.es>
Subject:  Re: 10.1824 What Exactly Are Allophones?

Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:52:20 +0000
From:  Suzanne Urbanczyk <urbansu at ucalgary.ca>

For an entirely different perspective on what an allophone is, check out this
week's Back Bench (date 11/27).

The image has a sign which says 'ALLOPHONES'.
To the right of the sign is a row of telephone booths.
In the penultimate phone-booth, is a fellow saying:

'ALLO?'

Dr. S. Urbanczyk
Department of Linguistics
University of Calgary