10.1866, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 4 16:49:37 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1866. Sat Dec 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1866, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:23:58 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Re: 10.1855, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

2)
Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:02:21 -0600 (CST)
From:  "James L. Fidelholtz" <jfidel at siu.buap.mx>
Subject:  Re: 10.1863, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

3)
Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:55:01 -0500
From:  "Travis Bradley" <tgb114 at psu.edu>

4)
Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 21:54:45 +0100
From:  Joaquim Brandãode Carvalho <jbrandao at ext.jussieu.fr>
Subject:  Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

Date:  Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:23:58 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>

DAN SAID
> Against my better judgement, I feel I need to respond to the following
> replies to my posting.
>
> As an overall point, however, I'd like to take a moment to marvel at the
> amazing strength of hold over our minds that "thinginess" has on us
> because of the cultural pattern that flows through English -- especially
> compared to the distrust of nouns I find in Native America (where my
> Algonquian-languages-speaking friends say they can talk all day long
> without uttering a single noun).

JORGE COMMENTS

I find also a distrust of nouns in non-Native America.

- --
JORGE SAID
> > Saying that an allophone is a relation is negated by saying that X is an
> > allophone of Y in language Z, since X is ***something****.

DAN RESPONDED
> You've totally misunderstood me. I specifically put brackets around the
> [X], which you've abandoned; too bad, since the brackets say, universally
> to linguists, that the [X] is a PHONE. Perhaps I should have written it
> out more clearly: The phone [X] is an allophone OF the phoneme /Y/. I was
> trying to say that "allophone" by itself is misleading, assisting us to
> imagine that it is a thing, whereas "allophone of" points more directly to
> its use as a relation between two things, phone and phoneme. "Allophonic"
> would be even more preferable for seeing its relationship role.

JORGE COMMENTS

Or better still, "allophonizes"    The phone [X] allophonizes the phoneme
/Y/. Does that approximate in any way what your Algonquian friends would
say?

Forget about the term ' allophone' for the moment. I think it is accurate
to say that in communication every phone is a manifestation of some
phoneme. Let's call a given phone X  and let's call Y the specific phoneme
that X is a manifestation of. In short, X is a manifestation of Y.

Would you say that a manifestation is a relation? If you say that it is,
then we don't have the same meaning for the word 'relation' and it is
useless to keep on arguing when we don't share the same vocabulary.

best regards

Jorge