10.1872, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Dec 5 17:40:36 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1872. Sun Dec 5 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1872, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  4 Dec 1999 23:03:34 EDT
From:  Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir
Subject:  On "Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?"

2)
Date:  Sun, 5 Dec 1999 12:25:57 -0500 (EST)
From:  ac.gather at t-online.de (Andreas Gather)
Subject:  What exactly are allophones?

Date:  4 Dec 1999 23:03:34 EDT
From:  Lotfi at www.dci.co.ir

 I guess this theme has been the most popular one on the list for the
whole year (though most probably NOT the most important one).  But why
is it so? I doubt it is (as somehow suggested) due to this linguistic
education of ours. It's simply because we linguists today have so
little in common to talk about.  This divergence of interests can be
primarily a symptom of a crisis rather than the maturity of the
science of language.  We've become so much involved in our own 'field
of specialty' that linguistics is already on its way to turn into a
private science.  I think that's why Linguists have welcome allophones
so warmly: they come from the already scarce terminolgy we have
inherited from the 'wise' linguists of the past. Ironically enough,
and in want of a common language, scientists of *language* are
'babbling' (rather than talking) among themselves with the very rare
occasion of some good old words of the past (like 'phone', 'phoneme',
and 'allophone') heard from time to time: does it mean the tower of
Babel may be left unfinished another time?

Best.
Ahmad R. Lotfi