10.461, Qs: Adjective Construction, UNIX Tools,'Ouch'

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 29 16:22:42 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-461. Mon Mar 29 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.461, Qs: Adjective Construction, UNIX Tools,'Ouch'

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:15:46 +0900
From:  "Mikio Hashimoto" <mikioha at cc.oita-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Adjective Plus for/of Construction

2)
Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:46:44 +0200
From:  Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>
Subject:  Controlled Language tools

3)
Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:55:13 +0200
From:  Fred Cummins <fred at sedano.idsia.ch>
Subject:  Ouch...

Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:15:46 +0900
From:  "Mikio Hashimoto" <mikioha at cc.oita-u.ac.jp>

Can anybody provide references, pointers, or other tips with regard to
adjective & interpretation of the constructions, such as "It is foolish for/
of John to go there."?In particular ,an adjective "careful"?
(Could you give me your judgement of the following sentences?)
(1)<John was careful to burn the documents.>
(2)<It was careful of John to burn the edocuments.>
(3)<It was careful for John to burn the documents.>
Thank you in advance.

Yuko K.
E-mail:  kobu at fat.coara.or.jp