10.1701, Sum: "Language & Mind" Film Information

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 9 04:43:55 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1701. Mon Nov 8 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1701, Sum: "Language & Mind" Film Information

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:57:12 -0500
From:  Elena Tapia <TAPIAE at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU>
Subject:  "Language and Mind" Film Info

Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:57:12 -0500
From:  Elena Tapia <TAPIAE at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU>

Many individuals provided me with the information I requested
on the Chomsky "Language and Mind" film.  Many also
requested that I pass that informationon

.  I have not
seen the film myself, so I cannot vouch for its value.

I will note that one who sent me the information said that
the company has a RIGID thirty-day return policy, so if
you do buy and don't like it, return it within thirty
days.

Also, the film is pricey at $275.

DATABASE: WorldCat

ACCESSION: 37943287
    TITLE: Language & mind
  EDITION: 50 min. classroom ed.
    PLACE: Los Angeles, Calif. :
PUBLISHER: Into the Classroom Media,
     YEAR: 1997
 PUB TYPE: Audiovisual
   FORMAT: 1 videocassette (71 minutes) : sd., col.
           ; 1/2 in. + 1 teaching guide (23 p. ; 23 cm.)
    NOTES: "Into the Classroom Media
           presents"--Opening frames.
           A Princeton University lecture.
           Based on: Language and mind / Noam Chomsky.
           Editor, Adam Brooks ; educational consultant, Robert Freidin
           ; camera, Ken Frasier, Mike Lee, Rob Massey.
           pt. 1. The object of inquiry : mechanisms of the mind -- pt.
           2. Properties of language -- pt. 3. The language organ -- pt.
           4. Universal grammar -- pt. 5. Domain specific cognitive
           faculties -- pt. 6. Language and grammar -- pt. 7. The
           cognitive revolution -- pt. 8. Principles and parameters --
           pt. 9. A continuing human inquiry -- Noam Chomsky : answers.
           Noam Chomsky, noted professor of linguistics, presents a 50-
           minute lecture on the nature of language, the acquisition of
           language, the study of language and the inner complex
           mechanisms of the mind and brain. The biological evolution of
           language is a distinction between man and animals. Can
           machines think? This research aims at eventually developing a
           complete general theory of language. Included at end of
           lecture: Noam Chomsky : answers (21 min.).
           VHS.

Into th Classroom Media
10573 W. Pico Blvd. #162
Los Angeles, CA 90064