10.1283, Disc: Universal Word Order

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 2 21:23:01 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1283. Thu Sep 2 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1283, Disc: Universal Word Order

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:51:56 -0700
From:  Roger Billerey <billerey at ucla.edu>
Subject:  Universal word order?

2)
Date:  Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Dan Moonhawk Alford <dalford at haywire.csuhayward.edu>
Subject:  Re: 10.1263, Disc: Universal Word Order[, or The Great Whorf Hypothesis  Hoax Revisited]

Date:  Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:51:56 -0700
From:  Roger Billerey <billerey at ucla.edu>

Dear all,

In his The Antisymmetry of Syntax monograph, Richie Kayne proposes "a
very specific theory of word order" whereby "asymmetric c-command
invariably maps into linear precedence ... [Underlyingly,] complements
must always follow their associated head and ... specifiers and adjoined
elements must always precede the phrase that they are sister to." The
various surface word orders found in Malagasy, English, Korean, Welsh,
etc. would be determined by movement. A good read.

-
Roger Billerey
Graduate student
Department of Linguistics