11.260, Qs: Chronological firsts, IPA alphabets

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 7 19:14:59 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-260. Mon Feb 7 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.260, Qs: Chronological firsts, IPA alphabets

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 07 Feb 2000 13:06:57 +0100
From:  Andrew Joscelyne <ajoscelyne at bootstrap.fr>
Subject:  Chronological firsts in language and speech technology

2)
Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:52:17 -0700 (MST)
From:  Gloria L Mcmillan <gmcmilla at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject:  IPA alphabets

Date:  Mon, 07 Feb 2000 13:06:57 +0100
From:  Andrew Joscelyne <ajoscelyne at bootstrap.fr>

Dear All,

I'm collecting chronological firsts in the computational linguistics, NLP
and speech/anguage technology domains with a view to establishing a
comprehensive timeline on the subject. I already have some data on the US
and the UK, but would very much welcome input on any of the following for
all countries and regions:

- first university courses in NLP, MT(machine translation), speech
recognition and synthesis or computational linguistics,
- first departments in any of same
- first dedicated research institutes in any of same
- first PhD theses in any of same
- first offical university appointments in any of same
- first commissioned reports from national/regional government and industry
on prospects for speech and language technology development
- first formally estalished international/national/regional speech and/or
language technology societies, associations, etc.
- frst international, national, or regional conferences/symposia/congresses
- first publically available books published
- first newspaper or magazine articles on NLP/MT/speech technology etc
events or issues
- first public demonstrations of operational speech/language technology
systems
- first radio/TV reports or accounts of speech/language technology systems
or potential

Many thanks in advance for all leads

Andrew Joscelyne
Andrew Joscelyne