11.300, Jobs: General Ling/Chair, General Ling/Consultant

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 13 19:37:19 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-300. Sun Feb 13 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.300, Jobs: General Ling/Chair, General Ling/Consultant

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:03:09 -0500
From:  "Sarah J. Shin" <shin at umbc.edu>
Subject:  General Ling: Chair, Education Department/ Univ of Maryland USA

2)
Date:  Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:42:01 -0800
From:  "Lora Mekikian" <lmekikian at answerfriend.com>
Subject:  General Ling/ Linguistic Consultant, Los Angeles/Boston USA

Date:  Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:03:09 -0500
From:  "Sarah J. Shin" <shin at umbc.edu>

Job Description: Chairperson,
Education Department,
UMBC

The Education Department at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County
(UMBC) invites applications for Chair at the rank of Professor. We
seek a person with a strong record of teaching, research, scholarship
and publication. The candidate will have successful grant and
administrative experience and demonstrated ability to wok effectively
with both faculty and administration at K-12 and university levels.

Housed in the college of Arts and Sciences, UMBC's Education Department
offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs. Recently
accredited by NCATE, the Department certifies and undergraduates
majoring in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences and Natural Sciences.
Programs in English, to speakers of other languages (ESOL) and bilingual
education prepare graduate students for teaching English as a
foreign language and curriculum development in K-16 venues in the US and
abroad. The Department is a lead collaborator in the newly
established interdisciplinary Ph.D. Program in Language, Literacy, and
Culture offered jointly by the Departments of Africana Studies,
Education, English, Modern Languages and Linguistics, and
Sociology/Anthropology. The Training Systems graduate program targets
business and industry with tracks in distance learning, computer-based
instruction, and instructional systems development. The Education
Department is engaged in nationally recognized partnerships throughout the
states in the areas of urban education, K-16 teaching, teacher training,
curriculum development, and program administration.

UMBC: an Honors University of Maryland is a public research university
of ten thousand students located in the Baltimore-Washington corridor
and in close proximity to other major universities, as well as key
federal research and funding agencies. UMBC combines the creative
intensity of the research university, the traditions of the liberal arts
university, and the social responsibility of the public university.

To apply, forward letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of
research agenda, reprints of select publications, and four letters of
reference sent to Carlo C. DiClemente, Ph.D., Chair, Education Chairperson
Search Committee, Department of Psychology, MP312, University of
Maryland Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250. The
search committee will give priority to applications received by
January 15, 2000. The review of applications will continue until the
position is filled. We encourage applications from women, members of
minority groups, and people with disabilities. For more information,
please visit the UMBC web site at http://www.umbc.edu and the Education
Department at http://www.umbc.edu/education/ . UMBC is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

Sarah J. Shin