11.2485, Qs: Word Formation/Eng, Disambiguation/Persian

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 17 21:44:30 UTC 2000

LINGUIST List:  Vol-11-2485. Fri Nov 17 2000. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 11.2485, Qs: Word Formation/Eng, Disambiguation/Persian

Editors: Karen Milligan, Wayne State U. <karen at linguistlist.org>
         Michael Appleby, E. Michigan U. <michael at linguistlist.org>
         Rob Beltz, E. Michigan U. <rob at linguistlist.org>
         Lydia Grebenyova, E. Michigan U. <lydia at linguistlist.org>
         Marie Klopfenstein, Wayne State U. <marie at linguistlist.org>
         Ljuba Veselinova, Stockholm U. <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:56:18 GMT
From:  "johan stam" <johanstam at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Word formation in English

2)
Date:  Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:15:53 +0330
From:  "AMIR SHAHAB SHAHABI" <SHAHABI at AZAD.AC.IR>
Subject:  disambigution on Persian Language Processing

Date:  Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:56:18 GMT
From:  "johan stam" <johanstam at hotmail.com>

I´m currently writing a Master thesis on translation
from English into Spanish. One of the main issues
dealt with in my work is the inventiveness in (new)
blendings and clippings in English, which are very
difficult to recreate in Spanish so as to satisfy
both the economical aspect (shortness of expression)
as well as aesthetic values of the text concerned.

It has so far been very troublesome finding earlier
works that treat such phenomena as the very common
word formation based on adjectives, such as
"biologicals", "glyphs", "subsonics", "tecspecs"
and "ebonics", for example, and the semantic
ambiguity (or generality) that these constructions
often entail.
I would be happy for suggestons on works or authors
that have dealt with this issue.
Replies can be sent to the following address.
m73js2u2 at students.su.se

Johan Stam

(Student at the Institute for Translation and Interpretation Studies at the
University of Stockholm)