12.1980, Disc: Semantics and Pragmatics of to-contraction

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 8 14:32:05 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1980. Wed Aug 8 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1980, Disc: Semantics and Pragmatics of to-contraction

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:54:46 -0500
From:  "Dan Everett" <Dan.Everett at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  response to hudson and mills on to-contraction

2)
Date:  Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:31:40 -0700
From:  Stephen Wilson <stephenw at ucla.edu>
Subject:  More on wanna contraction

Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:54:46 -0500
From:  "Dan Everett" <Dan.Everett at man.ac.uk>

Dick Hudson's reply, namely, that 'wanna' has the same distribution as
'want to' may be right. I never claimed that it did not have the same
distribution and my original posting provided an analysis that assumed
that it did. On the other hand, there is something going on here that
is clearly not syntactic, at least 'clearly' according to the data I
am aware of.

As to Mills reply that he 'apologizes' to me for not getting the
judgments, why on earth would anyone think it would bother me that he
or anyone else didn't get these judgments? The point is that some
people do. For the people to whom all examples are acceptable, there
is probably an easy solution. But those are not the dialects in
question.

The original data was noticed by going through many spectrograms (not
systematically for this particular problem, I admit) in the CMU SPHINX
data base and noticing that 'get +to' almost always comes out with far
less reduction of the 'to' than 'got + to', etc. There is a robust
fact here. And I have tested the judgment with many natives speakers,
mostly from the Midwestern US. Again, though, not systematically. That
certainly needs to be done, following something like the methodology
suggested in Wayne Cowart's book, Experimental Syntax.

So, if Dick Hudson is right, that 'we're still in the stage where
"wanna" is an alternative to "want to"' then we are also still in the
stage where a syntactic account seems less than promising.

Dan Everett