12.2064, Qs: Writing, Quantification and Negation

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 20 16:08:33 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-2064. Mon Aug 20 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.2064, Qs: Writing, Quantification and Negation

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Dina Kapetangianni <dina at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:56:41 -0400
From:  "Tosh" <ftachino at chat.carleton.ca>
Subject:  Sociocultural approaches to writing

2)
Date:  Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:56:10 +0200
From:  Bart Geurts <bart.geurts at phil.kun.nl>
Subject:  Quantification and negation

Date:  Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:56:41 -0400
From:  "Tosh" <ftachino at chat.carleton.ca>

I need some help with references for the thesis I am planning to write.
This is my abstract

- ----------
In the current sociocultural approach to writing, learning to write is seen
as an ability to learn the norm of the community to which the student seek
admission.  However, how the teacher can efficiently make the student
"enculturated" (Johns, 1997) is open to discussion (Knoblauch and Brannon,
1984; Bizzel, 1992;  Freedman, 1994; Dias, Freedman, Medway, Paré, 1999).

In this research, I am interested in answering the following questions:
- When evaluating a student's essay, do professors look for the same
features that are valued in professional writing?
- Can teachers explicate these features so that the students can accurately
evaluate their own essays? (One study shows a positive evidence.  See
Sengupta, 1999)
- Does an identity as a professional (rather than just a student) help the
students apply their explicit knowledge to their writing? (suggested in
Johns, 1997)

I plan to answer the above questions through questionnaires, interviews, and
analyses of papers.
- -----------

I am looking for references in following areas
- Research methodology
- Teacher's evaluation criteria
- Student's ability to evaluate essays (critical reading)
- Identity as a writer (rather than a non-writer)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

-
Tosh
Linguistics, 4th Year Honors
Carleton University

e-mail:    lastcreature at yahoo.com
homepage:  http://www.freespeech.org/lastman/index.html

"The world seems logical to us because we have already made it logical."

              - Friedrich Nietzsche, "The Will to Power"