12.293, Jobs: Comp Ling: Visiting Prof at Georgetown U, DC

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 4 02:34:42 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-293. Sat Feb 3 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.293, Jobs: Comp Ling: Visiting Prof at Georgetown U, DC

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:39:57 -0500
From:  Paul Portner <portnerp at georgetown.edu>
Subject:  Comp Ling: Visiting Prof at Georgetown U, DC, USA

Date:  Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:39:57 -0500
From:  Paul Portner <portnerp at georgetown.edu>

The Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University invites
applications for a one-year position as Visiting Professor in
Computational Linguistics beginning August 2001. The position may be
filled at the junior or senior level; salary and responsibilities will
vary with experience.

The position includes teaching and advising M.S. and Ph.D. students.
Courses to be taught may include Introduction to Computational
Linguistics, an application area (e.g. machine translation, speech
processing, summarization), Perl/Java programming and a seminar.

We seek outstanding applicants with graduate training in Linguistics,
knowledge of computer science, and senior research/development
credentials.  A Ph.D. is required. As we anticipate a permanent hire in
the near future, as well as continuing development of our graduate
curriculum,  we particularly seek applicants with extensive experience
and broad understanding of the field who can provide guidance on the
future direction of the program. Salary is commensurate with experience
and expected to be around $45,000 for a junior appointment and $70,000
for a senior appointment.

Georgetown's Computational Linguistics program is part of a large and
diverse department devoted to both research and undergraduate and
graduate education. The program has many ties to the computational
linguistics communities in government and industry.

A letter of application, CV, representative publications, and names of
three references should be sent to Prof. Paul Portner
(portnerp at georgetown.edu), CLI Search Committee, Department of
Linguistics, Georgetown University, Washington DC 20057.

http://www.georgetown.edu/compling/home.html

Georgetown University is an EO/AA employer.