12.1824, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 16 22:20:35 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1824. Mon Jul 16 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1824, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:43:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Re: 12.1819, Disc: Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

2)
Date:  Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:16:19 -0400
From:  Whitney Anne Postman <wap2 at cornell.edu>

Date:  Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:43:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>

When the sun imploded and Earth and all its linguists disappeared we had
long been studied by some superior extragalactic civilization and someone
from there wrote billions and billions of years later an essay that reads
in part as follows:

"At different points in the history of science of Planet 3 of Star
123456789567463535  there was always at least one individual
who thought (and told others) something like
'I believe there have been sufficient manifestations of the existence of
X to believe that X exists, even though X cannot be inspected directly'
but there was always at least one other individual who thought
and told others that there was no such thing as X, no way. But one thing
that happened a lot was that once they developed better ways to study and
record manifestations there was no logical way to refute the existence of
X, even though in some cases it continued to be impossible to inspect it
directly through the senses. I think of the triumphant case of the
muon and that of the black hole, and much much much later that of
Universal Grammar...."

Jorge Guitart