12.1825, Sum: Wh-questions in Arabic

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 16 22:27:17 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1825. Mon Jul 16 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1825, Sum: Wh-questions in Arabic

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:06:12 +0100 (BST)
From:  "O.L. Zavitnevich" <olz20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:  Wh-questions in Arabic

Date:  Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:06:12 +0100 (BST)
From:  "O.L. Zavitnevich" <olz20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>

For Query: Linguist 12.1699

Earlier this month I posted a question about the formation of wh-questions
in Arabic and Arabic dialects. I am very grateful to all who
replied to my queiry.  Here is the summary of the information that I got:

In  Modern Standard Arabic the question word appears sentence initially
(to the right of the sentence):
"qara?a al-waladu kitaaban" (The boy read a book)

mann (who) qara?a kitaaban?
limaaDa (why) qara?a al-waladu kitaaban?
maaDa (what) qara?a al-waladu?
?ayna (where) qara?a al-waladu kitaaban?

However, constructions of the following type is possible
qara?a kitaaban mann (who)?
qara?a al-waladu maaDa (what)?,

"qara?a al-waladu maaDa (what)"? may be used in scholastic settings to
elicit answers from pupils.

In Tunisian Arabic, the sub-dialect of Sfax, the examples from MSA become
as follows

(i) shkun (who) qara ktaab? (who read a book?)
(ii) ?alash (why) qara iT-Tfil ktaab? (why did the boy read a book?)
(iii) ?ish (what) qara iT-Tfil? (what did the boy read?)
(iv) wiin/fiin qara iT-Tfil l-ktaab? (where did the boy read the book?)

The position of a wh-phrase affects the meaning of a sentence, thus:
iT-Tfil qara ktaab shkun (who) ? (whose book did the boy read?)

the meaning changes into asking about the genetive.

In North African Arabic (Algerian dialect) wh-question-phrases
always have to be topicalized, and thus appear sentence-initially.

Moroccan Arabic is similar English.  Wh in-situ is possible only in Echo
questions.

Egyptian Arabic mainly uses wh-in-situ strategy, clause-initial
position is not very common only in idiomatic expression like "eh da"
`what is this supposed to be?' (angrily) instead of normal "da eh" `what
is this?'

Other sourses:

Shalom Lappin and David Johnson, Local Constraints vs Economy, CSLI
Monographs in Linguistics Series, CSLI, Stanford, CA, 1999, contains an
extensive discussion of wh-questions in Iraqi Arabic.

Modes of Intorregation, by Lina Choueiri and Joseph Aoun in the
semitic archives hosted by the ling dept at USC on Lebanese Arabic
http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/linguistics/semitic

Thanks

Olga Zavitnevich
Cambridge University