12.1846, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 17 23:48:38 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1846. Tue Jul 17 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1846, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
	Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU	Dina Kapetangianni, EMU

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:09:29 -0700
From:  "Mohammad Forouzani" <forouzani at abdnet.com>
Subject:  Disc: Nonobjects of syntactic study

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:53:54 -0500
From:  "Gale, George" <GaleG at umkc.edu>
Subject:  RE: 12.1823, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

3)
Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:34:44 +0100
From:  Larry Trask <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 12.1796, Disc: On Nonobjects of Syntactic Study

Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:09:29 -0700
From:  "Mohammad Forouzani" <forouzani at abdnet.com>

Dear Everett

    A significant point in Chomskyan theory to be considered, is that
the theory never claims to be tested by concrete evidence about
language.  It is rather against a single source of data for testing a
theory -observations of psychological reality- while many other
sources can be found.  In this regard Cook says that: 'when UG theory
is attacked for relying on intuitions and isolated sentences rather
than concrete examples of language use or psycholinguistic
experiments, its answer is to go on the offensive by saying that in
principle a scientific theory should not predetermine what facts it
deals with ;E-language approaches are deficient in the range of
evidence they account for compared to I -language theories.'
Therefore, we can say that Chomsky's theory is in search of the
evidence which is based on 'psychological reality' and not just the
direct observation of this psychological reality.  'The question is
not whether this issue is psychologically real, but if it is true.
Why?  because language knowledge is part of the speaker's mind and
Chomsky refers to it as 'that branch of human psychology known as
linguistics.'  With knowledge considered as principles and parameters
it is really difficult to believe that when speakers, for example,
produce a sentence they actually go through the production of NP and
VP, then in the production of VP, they eventually consider the
interaction of the head parameter, the head requirement, and the
lexical entries of verbs. In other words, as Chomsky puts it : 'An
innatist hypothesis is a refutable hypothesis', but rejection or
acceptance of the hypothesis is not just based on tangible and
observable evidence or phenomena.  Rather it could fundamentally be
tested by logic and argument.  This of course does not mean that
everything in this theory gives a feeling of deja vu.  No, it means
that Chomsky's innate language faculty or his hypotheses are 'not
unverifiable assertions but are mostly checkable statements' (Cook
1988).

    To put it in a nutshell, the attacks to this hypothesis or the
accolades given to it are moot points if they are just based on
predetermined, observable, tangible evidence or facts.  If this theory
is going to be debunked or acclaimed at all, the nuts and bolts of it
should be judged in a way that the judgement lives up to its premises
or its aphorisms.

    conclusion: Comsky's general ideas are based on specific claims
about language and cannot be studied, tested or even understood without
pondering on or reflecting upon it especially through some speculations.
 Therefore, the approach is rather speculative (based on reasoning,
not observable facts), though the practical usage of it in many areas
cannot be discounted.  At the end this incomplete discussion is
bedecked by a quotation, from Chomsky himself:

             It is always necessary to evaluate the import of
experimental data on theoretical constructions, and in particular, to
determine how such data bear on hypotheses that in nontrivial cases
involves various idealization and abstractions.

    Mohammad Forouzani
    Member of Azad University
    Iran.