12.1287, Qs: Verb-movement, Unmarked Possessives

The LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 10 12:57:54 UTC 2001

LINGUIST List:  Vol-12-1287. Thu May 10 2001. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 12.1287, Qs: Verb-movement, Unmarked Possessives

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	James Yuells, WSU		Michael Appleby, EMU
		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU

Date:  Thu, 10 May 2001 11:18:27 +0530
From:  "sharbani" <sharbe at vsnl.net>
Subject:  verb-movement

2)
Date:  Thu, 10 May 2001 14:40:33 +0200
From:  Joost Kremers <j.kremers at let.kun.nl>
Subject:  Unmarked possessives

Date:  Thu, 10 May 2001 11:18:27 +0530
From:  "sharbani" <sharbe at vsnl.net>

Hello,

      Can someone please suggest some literature on 'Verb Movement' in
the narrow syntax----or send me some paper(s)/suggest some site from
where I can download the work?
     In my Ph.D thesis on Bangla Syntax, I have observed the following
points regarding 'verb movement'.

1) When the verb moves to the head of a phrase, that phrase freezes
there.
2) In some cases, movement of the verb to the head of the 'Binder',
destroys Binding possibilities-be it anaphoric binding
/Q-Binding/Wh-Binding.
3) The adverbs must remain in a relation of c-command vis-a-vis the
verb. When the verb moves up, the adverbs must move up too.
4) The scope of Negation is determined by the position of the verb.
5) Whether a phrase has a Specific Reading or an indefinite reading is
once again determined by the position of the verb.
      I am looking for an explaination to all these effects. I have had
no literature on the subject.
 Thank you in advance

SHARBANI BANERJI
sharbe at vsnl.net

Contact address:
D-84, 'Matri Mandir', Sector-IX,
New Vijay Nagar, Ghaziabad-201,009,
U.P. India
(C/o Centre for Applied Linguistics & Translation Studies,
University Of Hyderabad, Hyderabad-500,046, India.)