13.584, Qs: Copy Vowels/Clarification, Data Elicitation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 2 06:38:16 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-584. Sat Mar 2 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.584, Qs: Copy Vowels/Clarification, Data Elicitation

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:47:55 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nancy E Hall <nancyh at linguist.umass.edu>
Subject:  copy vowels

2)
Date:  Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:48:55 +0200
From:  Diane Boonen <dboonen at pop.vub.ac.be>
Subject:  eliciting data from young deaf children

Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:47:55 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nancy E Hall <nancyh at linguist.umass.edu>

	I am reposting this query because it contained a typo that
made the question seem contradicted by the data given.

	There are examples where epenthetic copy vowels show
'overapplication' of a phonological process. For example, Winnebago
normally nasalizes vowels after a nasal consonant as in [wanIk] 'bird'
(capital = nasalized vowel). Winnebago also inserts a copy vowel into
obstruent + sonorant clusters. In these cases, the copy vowel will
undergo nasalization if the original vowel does, even though the copy
vowel is not on the surface in a position where nasalization is
expected: /knak/ -> [kAnAk] 'marry'.

I am looking for more examples of overapplication as well as
examples of 2 other possible behaviors of copy vowels:

1. Cases where a copy vowel and original vowel end up different due to
normal, contextual variation. For example, where different allophones
of the same vowel show up in the original and copy, or where one only
one vowel undergoes some process such as ablaut.

2. Cases where both the original vowel and copy vowel undergo a
process that only the COPY is in the normal position for.

This is part of a project to study subtypes of copy vowel epenthesis.
I will post a summary of responses.

Thank you,
Nancy Hall

nancyh at linguist.umass.edu