13.702, Sum: -heit/keit in German

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 15 04:09:12 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-702. Thu Mar 14 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.702, Sum: -heit/keit in German

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:23:34 +0200
From:  "Stefan Ploch" <stefan at languages.wits.ac.za>
Subject:  Sum: The distribution of -heit/keit in German,          or criteria of assessing morphological complexity

Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:23:34 +0200
From:  "Stefan Ploch" <stefan at languages.wits.ac.za>

Sum: The distribution of -heit/keit in German, or criteria of assessing
morphological complexity

Dear colleagues,

On 05 March 2002, I posted a query (Linguist 13.601) re. the
distribution of -heit/keit in German, criteria of assessing
morphological complexity, and searchable electonic dictionaries. Below
you will find a summary of all responses I received (in alphabetical
order according to surname of author, somewhat edited/shortened now and
then). If I received more than one email from one and the same author, I
numbered them (a), (b), (c), etc.

Let me again thank all those who responded to my query for their
efforts, i.e.:

Ron Artstein
Laurie Bauer
Marcus Callies
Jim Copeland
Beate Engel-Doyle
William H. Fletcher
Benjamin Fortson
Patrick Grosz
Pius ten Hacken
Hans-Werner Hatting
Douglas Lightfoot
Edgar W. Schneider
Jan Strunk
Michael Swan
Rémy Viredaz
Beate Waffenschmidt
Richard Wiese
Larry

Regards,
Stefan Ploch.

- - - - - - -

(1) Ron Artstein

Check the following paper by Wiese, section 4.1; I don't know if it is
different from what he has in the book you cite.

http://pc0880.germanistik-kunst.uni-marburg.de/~mal/MAL-TEXTS-archive/

Richard Wiese: How prosody shapes German words and morphemes. Marburger
Arbeiten zur Linguistik, 5, 2001.

(2) Laurie Bauer

I would guess that the origin of your rule is Fleischer, Wolfgang
1975. Wortbildung der deutschen Gegenwartssprache. Tuebingen: Niemeyer
4., durchgesehene Auflage, p 151.

Die Form -keit wird anstelle von -heit stets verwandt, wenn die
adjektivische Basis ein Derivat ist (mit den Suffixen -ig, -lich,
-sam, -bar) [reference omitted] [a lot more stuff on formal
restrictions] ... In der Bedeutung bestehen gegenueber -heit keine
Unterschiede.

I find Fleischer really helpful on all sorts of details of German.

(3) Marcus Callies

You might want to check the summary of a recent query on LINGUIST
concerning phonotactics in morphological blocking and suppletion at

http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-92.html

There is also some comment on the behaviour of the German suffix
-heit/-keit.

A good reference is

Fleischer, Wolfgang & Irmhild Barz. 1992. Wortbildung der deutschen
Gegenwartssprache. Tuebingen : Niemeyer.

(4) Jim Copeland

I'm sure you know that the alternation began historically in the south
where the suffix   -ig  was pronounced as a voiceless stop. In
combination with the further suffix  -heit, the  k-h boundary was
reanalysed to leave the /k / as the beginning phoneme of the suffix
- k(h)eit. It is not at all surprising that there is no absolute
synchronic regularity governing its distribution, given that the  -keit
form goes back originally to the  *-ig-heit combination and was later
spread in part by analogy.

(5) Beate Engel-Doyle

When I read your posting, it occured to me that Wolfgang Fleischer
perhaps might have something to contribute to the research you are
conducting.

The title of his monograph is:  Wortbildung der deutschen
Gegenwartssprache.

I have the 1982 Niemeyer edition.  In that he treats the phenomenon of
-heit/-keit in sections 2.2.12 ff. In other sections, he deals with
other "synonymous" suffixes (s. index).

(6) William H. Fletcher

Heiterkeit mit Heit-or-keit

I have also wondered idly about this question and have concluded that
the reason is more phonological than morphological, with a good dose of
plain old conventionality.  Bitterkeit, Sauberkeit, Heiterkeit argue
against the simplex / complex explanation.

Perhaps these forms were created by that deus-ex-machina Analogy because
of the similarity of the trochaic rhythm / secondary stress to
-ig/-lichkeit.  I assume that preservation of the secondary stress on
this suffix underlies extensions like Schnelligkeit, Bequemlichkeit,
Arbeitslosigkeit and perhaps most complex forms.

I attach a list of all -keit / -heit forms among the 10,000 most common
words.

downloadable dictionary
http://www.cleverlearn.com/en/home.php

other online dictionaries
http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de
(includes lists and tools)

http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de

http://dict.leo.org

http://yourdictionary.com/diction3.html

http://www.straelener-manuskripte.de/WB/WBindex.html

Mater dictionary on CD-ROM:

- -------------------------------
Der MATER ist wieder zu haben!

Jenes ruecklaeufige, also vom Wortende her sortierte Woerterbuch, das
1965
in der DDR erschien, sofort von ARNO SCHMIDT in der WELT rezensiert und
noch 1999 von OSKAR PASTIOR in der ZEIT als sein (leider vergriffenes)
Jahrhundertbuch bezeichnet wurde. Ein Woerterbuch-Klassiker in neuer
Bearbeitung und auf CD-ROM vielseitiger benutzbar als je zuvor.

Erich Mater
Ruecklaeufiges Woerterbuch der deutschen Gegenwartssprache

Vom Autor aktualisierte und wesentlich erweiterte Ausgabe auf CD-ROM.
ISBN 3-89107-047-0 24,90 Euro / sFr 44,50

Mit knapp 200.000 Eintraegen listet der neue MATER die Woerter der
deutschen Hoch- und Umgangssprache nahezu vollstaendig auf,
beruecksichtigt speziell die typisch deutschen Komposita, aber auch den
Fremdwort- und den allgemeineren Fach-Wortschatz.

Das Ordnungsprinzip dieses Woerterbuchs ist die Uebereinstimmung am
Wortende, eine - auf den ersten Blick - ziemlich befremdliche
Darstellungsweise. Auf den zweiten Blick erkennt man aber, wie
reichhaltig die Sprache sich aus dieser ungewoehnlichen Perspektive
praesentiert. Denn im Deutschen stehen die meisten morphologischen
Elemente am Wortende, und die ruecklaeufige Anordnung des MATER macht
diese Wortbildungsmuster sichtbar. So finden Sie z.B.

Ueber 2.800 Woerter auf -keit und

Ueber 750 Belege auf das Grundwort -maschine

Ein Fundus, aus dem sich Linguisten, Sprachwissenschaftler oder Lehrer
mittels verschiedener Suchroutinen zuverlaessige Materialsammlungen
fuer wissenschaftliche oder didaktische Zwecke erstellen koennen.
Darueberhinaus noetzt der MATER als Reimwoerterbuch und hilft
Raetselratern auf die Spruenge. Autoren, Uebersetzern und Werbetextern
aber dient MATER als Schluessel zu den "Lagerraeumen der Assoziation" (Arno
Schmidt)

Das Programm arbeitet mit Platzhaltern wie dem Sternchen und bietet
vielseitige Suchmoeglichkeiten.

Mit der Zeichenfolge ab* erfragen Sie z.B. alle Woerter, die mit
ab- anfangen.

Mit der Zeichenfolge *kurs erfragen Sie alle Woerter, die
mit -kurs aufhören.

Mit Ver*ung finden Sie alle Woerter, die mit Ver- beginnen und auf -ung
enden.

Mit eckigen Klammern [ ] koennen Sie einen Bereich des Alphabets
definieren.

So erfragen Sie mit der Zeichenfolge *[b-g] alle Woerter, die mit den
Buchstaben b bis g aufhoeren.

In geschweiften Klammern { } koennen Sie statistische Kriterien
angeben.

So erhalten Sie mit dem Suchbefehl [a-z,ae,oe,ue,ss]{4} alle
kleingeschriebenen Woerter (einschliesslich derer mit Umlauten und
ss) von 4 Buchstaben Laenge.

Systemvoraussetzungen:
IBM-kompatibler PC , Windows 95, 98, ME oder Win2000, mind. 32 MB RAM.
Mind. 60 MB freier Festplattenspeicher.

Installation:
Das Retrieval-Programm ist in Java geschrieben und benoetigt die Java
VM (virtual maschine), die Sie von dieser CD-ROM herunterladen koennen,
falls sie auf Ihrem PC nicht vorhanden ist.

Dies Buch ist also: beredsam, empfindsam, Sesam.

Es ist einpraeg, bieg, schmieg, reg, vergnoegsam. Sowohl Bisam als
auch Balsam (u.a. Leber, Wasser, Peru), mit anderen Worten mitteil, wunder,
ungehor bis unterhalt und ziemlich seltsam. Oskar Pastior

- -------------------------------

(c) Attachment "heiterkeit.txt"

- -heiterkeit.txt---------------------------

Quelle:
http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de/Papers/top10000de.txt

heit 23  keit 24  heiten 6  keiten 5

Krankheiten
Einzelheiten
Angelegenheiten
Einheiten
Minderheiten
Mehrheiten

Kindheit
Gesundheit
Menschheit
Freiheit
Krankheit
Dunkelheit
Offenheit
Gelegenheit
Angelegenheit
Vergangenheit
Abwesenheit
Anwesenheit
Gelassenheit
Einheit
Schoenheit
Klarheit
Minderheit
Sicherheit
Unsicherheit
Wahrheit
Mehrheit
Weisheit
Gewissheit

Notwendigkeit
Geschwindigkeit
Selbstaendigkeit
Zustaendigkeit
Glaubwuerdigkeit
Abhaengigkeit
Unabhaengigkeit
Faehigkeit
Wettbewerbsfaehigkeit
Leistungsfaehigkeit
Einigkeit
Arbeitslosigkeit
Gerechtigkeit
Gueltigkeit
Taetigkeit
Geschaeftstaetigkeit
Moeglichkeit
Menschlichkeit
Wirklichkeit
Wahrscheinlichkeit
Persoenlichkeit
Oeffentlichkeit
Aufmerksamkeit
Einsamkeit

Faehigkeiten
Schwierigkeiten
Taetigkeiten
Moeglichkeiten
Persoenlichkeiten

- --------------------

(7) Benjamin Fortson

Here's what I know, for what it's worth: historically, -heit was the
original suffix, and -keit arose by missegmentation in words where -heit
followed a velar stop. This is why -keit is predominantly found after
-ig (Ewigkeit, Traurigkeit, etc. etc.; note that -ig-keit itself got
abstracted out as a suffix, as in Fest-igkeit from fest (no *festig),
Suess-igkeit from suess (*suessig), etc.). In Middle High German the new
-keit started to encroach on -heit territory and is now standard after
certain suffixes, esp. (only?) -bar, -sam (as in your example), -lich,
and -isch.

The morphological complexity of the preceding adjective does not, as far
as I know, play a role, as you yourself demonstrated. In sum, -heit is
the default, and -keit is limited to use after a few adjectival
suffixes.

This should be in any decent history of German.

(8) Patrick Grosz

(a) Looking up "-heit, -keit" in my etymologic dictionary
(Etymologisches Woerterbuch des Deutschen, Muenchen: dtv, 1993) I
found
out the following:

"heit" seems to be the older word, which already existed in Old High
German in the 8th century, meaning "form, person, being, manner", being
related to the Old English word "had". It seems to have developped to
the suffix "-heit" in West Germanic vor collective terms
("Kollektivbegriffe", I'm not sure how to translate correctly) and in
connection to Adjectives and Participes for Abstract terms ("in
Verbindung mit Adjektiven und Partizipien fuer Abstrakta") which design
state or a quality of something (Old High German: bos-heit, fri-heit,
trunkan-heit).

and this seems to be what is essential as a possible answer to your
question: through the connection of "-heit" to Adjectives ending with
"-ag", "-ig" in Old High German, and to those ending with "-ic" or "ec"
in Middle High German the Suffixform "-keit" was derived. It seems to be
a fully phonological (!) process which has been lexicalized:

OHG "ewigheit" y"MHG "ewicheit", "ewekeit" y"NHG "Ewigkeit"
MHG "itelicheit", "itelkeit" y"NHG "Eitelkeit"

here are the exact passages from my book (in german), so that you are
not dependent on my bad english and my bad translations - I had to leave
out the diacritics:

-heit, -keit Das in ahd. (8. Jh.), mhd. heit m. f. "Gestalt, Person,
Stand, Rang, Wesen, Art und Weise", asaechs. hed m. "Stand, Wuerde",
aengl. had m. "Person, Rang, Stand, Wuerde, Wesen, Art", got. haidus
"Art und Weise" und (anders gebildetem) anord. hei[th]r "Ehre, Rang,
Lohn, Gabe" vorliegende Substantiv ist verwandt mit dem unter heiter
(s.d.)  behandelten Adjektiv [...]. Daraus entwickelt sich im
Westgerm. das zweite Glied zum Kompositionssuffix (ahd. mhd. -heit,
asaechs. -hed, mnd. -het, mnl. -heit, -heet, -heide, nl. -heid,
aengl. -had, engl. -hood, auch -head) fuer Kollektivbegriffe
(ahd. mennischeit) und (speziell im Dt.) in Verbindung mit Adjektiven
und Partizipien fuer Abstrakta, die einen Zustand oder eine
Eigenschaft bezeichnen (ahd. bosheit, friheit, trunkanheit). Aus der
Verknuepfung von -heit mit Adjektiven auf ahd. -ag, -ig, mhd. -ic, -ec
entsteht im Mhd. die Suffixform -keit (ahd. ewigheit, mhd. ewicheit,
ewekeit, nhd. Ewigkeit; mhd. itelicheit, itelkeit, nhd.  Eitelkeit).

(b) Rein intuitiv wuerde ich Ihnen aber darin zustimmen, dass man sich
als deutscher Muttersprachler hauptsaechlich nach den vorangehenden
Affixen orientiert. Fuer "-keit" waeren meinem Empfinden nach zum
Beispiel "-sam-, -bar-, -lich-, -ig-" typische Affixe. Ich wuerde
daher vermuten, dass "-heit" als "default" angenommen wird, und
"-keit" in gewissen, vermutlich erlernten Kontexten realisiert
wird. Am Rande moechte ich anzumerken, dass ich selber mich auch
durchaus an Situationen erinnern kann, in denen ich beim Sprechen
Probleme hatte, bei weniger gelaeufigen Woertern dieser Art
herauszufinden, ob das richtige Suffix "-heit" oder "-keit" lautete;
ich kann mich aber leider nicht mehr an die konkreten Woerter
erinnern. Allerdings bin ich soeben leider auf einen Widerspruch zu
der Aussage gestossen, die ich in meiner letzten e-mail aus dem EWB
zitiert habe. "-sam" lautete naemlich laut selbigem, wie ich jetzt
gerade herausgefunden habe, auch im Alt- und Mittelhochdeutschen schon
"-sam", waehrend "-bar" als ahd. "-bari" und mhd "-baere" ausgewiesen
wird. In diesen beiden Faellen ist der Kontext "-ag-, -ig-"
bzw. "-ic-, -ec-" also nicht gegeben.

(9) Pius ten Hacken

The Word Manager database of German morphology seems ideally suited
for the type of question you raise. Word Manager is a system for
morphological dictionaries which makes available the word formation
rules both as sets of instruction and as classes:
http://www.unibas.ch/LIlab/projects/wordmanager/wordmanager.html

In the German database, 200,000 lexemes are included. Demo versions
of tools derived from the database are available on-line at
http://www.canoo.net/. I am not sure whether these tools give an
answer to your concrete question, but the underlying database
certainly has the information included. If you encounter problems,
you might contact Dr. Elisabeth Maier <elisabeth-a.maier at gmx.de> who
has better access to this database than I have. [I work with English
and Italian, not with German].

(10) Hans-Werner Hatting

(a) the situation is even more complicated. There are not
only the "complex" past participles forming their
nouns in "-heit", but there are also "simple"
adjectives from which abstracta are derived with
"-keit":

eitel "vain" - Eitelkeit "vanity"
bieder "honest, square"- Biederkeit "honesty,
squareness"
heiser "hoarse" - Heiserkeit "hoarseness"
heiter "merry" - Heiterkeit "merriness"
munter "awake, lively" - Munterkeit "*awakeness,
livelyness"
tapfer "brave" - Tapferkeit "bravery"

These adjectives all end on "-er / - el" (and could
thus be labelled "suffixed = complex"), but they are
not analysable in Modern High German, and the suffixes
are not productive any more. (I rephrase this to make
my point more clear: there are no analysable
adjectives in -el / er in Modern High German which
could trigger a treatment of the listed adjectives as
suffixed, if one doesn't count the uninflectable
adjectives of the type /Schweizer/ "Swiss",
/Frankfurter/ "from Frankfurt".) All abstract nouns
formed from adjectives of this type I can think of use
either "-keit", or other formations:

edel "noble" - Adel "nobility, noblesse"
schwanger "pregnant" - Schwangerschaft "pregnancy"

Furtheron, adjectives of substance like /golden/
"golden" or /steinern/ "made of stone" normally do not
have derived abstract nouns. But if an abstract noun
is formed, like in the case of /hoelzern/ "wooden" when
it is used in its figurative meaning, the abstract
noun is formed with "-heit": /Hoelzernheit/
"woodenness", thus violating the rule "complex" >
-keit.

My opinion on the matter is that the distribution rule
"simple" vs. "complex" has value only as a shorthand
rule which has to be supplemented by exceptions. If
you do not want to use exceptions, you will have to
define classes of adjectives to derive abstract nouns,
e.g.:

(1) Abstract nouns in -schaft, (Umlaut)+e, -igkeit,
etc. (enumerate adjectives or define sematic criteria)

(2) Abstract nouns in -keit: adjectives with the
suffixes -ig, -sam, etc. (enumerate suffixes) or
ending in -el, -er

(3) Abstract nouns in -heit: the rest (including
"simple" adjectives except those on -el, -er, the past participles, and
the adjectives of substance on -(er)n)
with adjectives being checked for belonging to (1)
first, then for (2), ad if they belong to neither,
they belong to (3).

(b) Ein anderes Adjektiv, das mich gestern beschaeftigt
hat, war "wacker". Es wird heute selten ausserhalb
fester Redewendungen benutzt (z.B. "sich wacker
schlagen", wo es adverbial vewendet wird), so dass sich
die Notwendigkeit fuer die Bildung eines Abstraktums
nicht ergibt, und ich erinnere mich auch an keine
Beispiele fuer ein Abstraktum aus der aelteren
Literatur. Nach der gestern von mir aufgestellten
Regel sollte das Abstraktum "*Wackerkeit" sein, aber
irgendwie klingt "Wackerheit" fuer mein Sprachgefuehl
besser. Ein anderes Wort dieses Typs ist "lecker", zu
dem man normalerweise kein Abstraktum bilden wuerde -
statt "*die Leckerkeit/-heit einer Speise" wuerde man
"der leckere Geschmack einer Speise" o.ae.
Umschreibungen verwenden.

Vor dem Hintergrund der Adjektive auf -el / -er, zu
denen Abstrakta auf -keit gebildet werden, laesst sich
vielleicht eine andere Regel aufstellen, naemlich dass
einsilbige Adjektive ihre Abstrakta nie auf -keit
bilden (wohl aber auf -igkeit: "schnell" -
"Schnelligkeit", "nett" - "Nettigkeit" usw.). Fuer
mehrsilbige Adjektive dagegen muessen zusaetzliche, von
ihrer konkreten Klasse abhaengige Regeln gebildet
werden. Die Formulierung in einem Paradigma "einfach - abgeleitet"
wuerde
ich aufgeben wollen. A propos: auch "einfach" - "Einfachheit"
widerspricht der Regel "KOMPLEX > -keit".

(11) Douglas Lightfoot

You didn't indicate the historical background to the two suffixes, which
I think plays an important role:  -keit < ec-heit from at least Middle
High German, where the 'ec' is today's 'ig'.  There definitely seems to
be a phonological factor at work there, ie fusion.

Duden (Grammatik, Bd. 4, 1995, section 893) and Henzen (Deutsche
Wortbildung, [I have an old edition--1947] p 190-192, etc.) indicate
that participles favor '-heit' [note your example "Verlogenheit"], as
well as monosyllabic adjectives (Dummheit).

Adjectives with '-ig, -lich, -bar, and -isch' prefer '-keit'.  Then
there are the '-haft' and '-los' types which regularly have 'igkeit'. A
number of single (and some double syllabic) examples also show '-igkeit'
(eg. Schnelligkeit, Geschwindigkeit).

I'd be interested in seeing what Fleischer and Barz (Wortbildung der
deutschen Gegenwartssprache) have to say.  Don't have a copy with me.

It seems there could be good arguments at the phonological and
morphosyntactic levels for preference.  In the modern language, I'm sure
analogy is at play.

(12) Edgar W. Schneider

I'm not an expert on this at all; but I do remember that when I was at
the University of Bamberg, Germany, in the mid-1980s a friend of
mine in German Linguistics, named Birgit Oberle, wrote and
finished a dissertation on German -heit/-keit suffixes, supervised by
Rolf Bergmann. I've lost touch of her but I understand she's still in
Bamberg; and German dissertations must be published, so it
should be possible to find out and get hold of this somehow. As far
as I remember the thesis should have covered pretty much what you
have in mind.

(13) Jan Strunk

When I read your question, I first thought that the relevant "trigger"
here was, whether the suffix "heit/keit" is attached to the stem (no
matter if the stem already has any prefixes) or to another suffix (--->
thus "complex"). In the first case the suffix is "heit" and in the
second case, if there's already a suffix it's "keit".

To confirm this I looked into "Wortbildung der deutschen
Gegenwartssprache" by Fleischer (1982) (there are more recent editions).

He writes:

"Die Form -keit wird anstelle von -heit stets verwandt, wenn die
adjektivische  Basis ein Derivat ist (mit den Suffixen -ig, -lich, -sam,
- bar)." (p. 151)

Translation:  The form -keit is always used instead of -heit if the
adjective base is a derivation (with the suffixes -ig, -lich, -sam,
-bar).

He quotes Wilmanns (1899): Deutsche Grammatik. 2. Abteilung:
Wortbildung. 2nd edition, who assumes phonological conditions for the
alternation, namely that -keit comes from -echeit and thus never had an
accented syllable immediately before it and thus has come to be used
only in cases where it follows an unaccented syllable, i.e. after the
derivational suffixes referred to above but also in "Eitelkeit,
Uebelkeit, Heiserkeit, etc.". Unfortunately, in equivalent cases, the
suffix -heit is also found: Sicherheit, Dunkelheit, Einzelheit.

Fleischer also writes:

"Suffixbildungen kommen als Basis fuer -heit-Derivate kaum vor (dafuer
-keit, -igkeit, s.u.). Auch Fremdwoerter bilden hierbei nur seltene
Ausnahmen (Groteskheit), da die entsprechenden Substantive gewoehnlich
mit -(i)taet gebildet werden (Universalitaet u.ae. [...])." (p. 148)
Translation: Suffixderivations rarely occur as base for
-heit-derivations (-keit, igkeit instead). Foreign words, too, are very
rarely exceptions to this (Groteskheit), because the corresponding nouns
are usually formed with -(i)taet (Universalitaet etc.).

The above-mentioned cases of foreign words with suffixes as base for
"heit" could probably be explained either by saying that speakers of
German think of them as complex or following the phonological theory
that they are accented on the syllable before the heit-suffix.

Thus, it doesn't seem to be a question of complexity, rather if at all a
question of whether the suffix is attached to the stem or another
suffix. But I think there's also evidence for the phonological theory.

(14) Michael Swan

According to Priebsch and Collinson's 'The German Language' (4th
edition. 1958), it started out as '-heit' . The variant '-keit',
they say, occurs in High German only, emerging in the 12th century 'owing
to the misdivision of a word like 'ewec-heit' into 'ewe-cheit',
'ewekeit'.'
They continue: 'In MHG we find 'bitterkeit' replacing 'bittarheit' as
well as a number of '-keit' words like 'behendekeit' from
'behende',
'gerehtekeit', 'reinekeit', and in the fourteenth and fifteenth
centuries especially after '-baere'. e.g. 'erbaerekeit', thus
initiating
the application of '-keit' to adjectives ending in the suffixes
'-baere'
('-bar'), '-sam', e.g. 'Unachtsamkeit', '-lich', e.g.
'Geistlichkeit',
'-isch', e.g. 'Muerrischkeit'. A still further extension of '-heit' is
'-ig-keit', used particularly after monosyllabic adjectives like
'fest',
'suess', 'zaeh', 'fix' as well as with 'gerecht',
'genau' and words
containing the suffix '-haft', e.g. 'Dauerhaftigkeit' and its converse
'-los', e.g. 'Geschmackslosigkeit'.

So it looks as if '-heit' is the default, with '-keit' occurring
after
certain suffixes and in one or two one-offs, and 'igkeit' showing up
in
a few special cases

(15) Rémy Viredaz

The distribution is certainly complex:

-  In at least one case, -keit is attached to a simple word: heiter,
Heiterkeit 'cheerful(ness)'

- In some cases, -ig-keit is added: arbeitslos, Arbeitslosigkeit
'unemployed, unemployment'; geschwind, 'quick', Geschwindigkeit 'speed'

- in some cases, the first element is not used in isolation, or not as
an adjective, and/or there seems to be deletion of the last consonant of
the adjective: einzel- quasiprefix, einzeln 'isolated' (MHG einzel),
Einzelheit 'detail'.

I think that the distribution can be *understood* only in a diachronical
approach. First, older *-igheit evolved phonologically to *-ikeit (the
spellings were different at the time), which was reformed to -ig-keit in
order to "include" the basis form -ig. Later on, -keit was extended to
other suffixes or even to other bases by analogy. Analogy may  proceed
in various directions, so that there need not be a unique or even simple
criterion for the distribution of -heit, -keit, -igkeit. Thus, it is
only to be expected that a synchronic description may need a set of more
or less ad hoc rules.

I tried to work rules for myself (certainly they have been found long
ago), using a partial list of examples (from my work notes as a
translator), and starting from the ideas you  mentioned (the criterion
of 'simple' vs. 'complex' words, and the idea that certain morphemes
'don't count')

(I) Monomorphemic words usually take -heit.
However:

(a) at least one simple word takes -keit: heiter 'cheerful' makes
Heiterkeit 'cheerfulness'. (This is not because of the -er, cf. (it's
not because of the -er, cf. Sicherheit 'security', Besonderheit
'peculiarity'.) The reason why Heiterkeit has its k may be related to
euphony and dissimilation, but as the example is isolated it has to be
treated as a lexical exception.

(b) a few simple words take -ig-keit; I know only of fest 'firm',
schnell 'quick' > Festigkeit, Schnelligkeit geschwind 'quick' makes
Geschwindigkeit 'speed' (cf. schnell above and prefixes below). (cf.
also Kleinigkeit 'small detail' vs. Kleinheit 'smallness'; Kleinigkeit
is from a former suffixed adjective that would be *kleinig if it had
survived)

(II) Prefixes don't count, no matter whether unstressed or stressed:
Gesamtheit, Gesundheit, Gewissheit, Zufriedenheit Ausgewogenheit,
Obliegenheit

(IIIa) Suffixes -t and -en take -heit:
Bestimmtheit, Beliebtheit, (Ziel)orientiertheit, Verwirrtheit
Angelegenheit, Ausgewogenheit, Begebenheit, Beschaffenheit,
Besonnenheit, Betroffenheit, (Betriebs)bezogenheit, Entschlossenheit,
Geborgenheit, Gegebenheit, Gelegenheit, Verbundenheit, Vergangenheit
These are suffixes that are "weaker" than -ig (lesser phonological
weight)

(IIIb) The following suffixes take -keit (examples are too numerous to
be quoted):
-ig, -lich, -bar, -sam (I don't know if there are others)
The last three are suffixes that are "stronger" than -ig (phonologically
weightier, and preceded by a syllable cut) However, other suffixes of
similar phonological strength or weight are treated differently:

(IIIc) The following suffixes take the complex suffix -ig-keit: -haft.
Sprunghaftigkeit
-los: Ausnahmslosigkeit, Arbeitslosigkeit, Bewusstlosigkeit,
Gefuehlslosigkeit, Teilnahmslosigkeit (I don't know if there are
others)

(IIId) The following suffix takes -heit:
-fach: Einfachheit
(I don't know if there are others).

(IV) In some cases, the first element is not used in isolation, or not
as an adjective (or no longer): Einzelheit 'detail' (mentioned above)
cf. einzel- (first element of compounds), einzeln 'isolated' (MHG
einzel), ; Gewohnheit 'custom' (cf. gewohnt 'accustomed', both from MHG
adjective gewon);
Unwissenheit 'ignorance', cf. unwissend 'ignorant'
Obliegenheit 'obligation'; from obliegen 'to be incumbent on someone',
or rather from its present participle obliegend

(V) In some cases, there seems to be deletion of the last consonant of
the base word:

(a) ge-wohn-t : Ge-wohn-heit, un-wiss-end : Un-wiss-en-heit,
ob-lieg-end: Ob-lieg-en-heit (cf. IV) Cf. conversely eigen :
eigen-t-lich, a rule specific for -en + -lich. One could try a rule that
adjectives in -nd (in suffixal -end, thus not in
gesund) and -nt (with suffixal -t) (but not -mt, as in gesamt) lose
their -d or -t. However, the examples are probably not numerous enough
for such a rule to be economical.

(b) hoch 'high' (OHG hoh) - Hoheit 'Highness, high authority' (not
'height')
- this is definitely a lexical, not morphological case.

In conclusion:

- It is not necessary or useful to speak of morphological simplicity vs.
complexity of the basic word, but only of non-suffixed vs. suffixed.
- If the basic word has no previous suffix, -heit is the default
allomorph of the suffix discussed here; however, one needs lists for
specific words (in very small numbers) that have allomorphs -keit or
-ig-keit.
- If the basic word is alread suffixed, its (last) suffix is sufficient
to predict whether the word takes -heit, -keit or -igkeit is used;
however (1) one needs to list suffixes in a partly ad hoc fashion, they
do not form natural classes that could be defined by comprehension
rather than by extension; (2) cases in (V a) above have to be treated as
exceptions.
- There definitely seems to be no simple, general rule that might
subsume all of the above.

(16) Beate Waffenschmidt

(a) Die Suche nach a) einer intuitiven Regel, b) weiteren Beispielen und
c) einer Arbeitstheorie brachte folgende Ergebnisse:

a) Regel - keine offensichtlich erkennbare gefunden.

b) Beispiele - viele mit  -heit, aber sehr wenige mit -keit.

c) Theorie - ich bin nicht sicher, wie weit eine morphologische Theorie
hier alleine fuehrt. Allomorphe Varianten sind ja haeufig  Folge von
phonologischen Distributionsbeschraenkungen und / oder Lautwandel- und
Verschleifungsprozessen, die durch artikulatorische Oekonomie bedingt
sind (ich weiss nicht, ob Lausberg das selbst gesagt hat, oder ob es
nur
meine Folgerung aus dem Lausberg'schen Gesetz ist).

Meine Hypothese (die ich leider nicht belegen kann) ist, dass sich hier
eher um ein phonologisches Problem handelt, und dass die Distribution
auf Prosodie / Anzahl der Silben und Betonungsverteilung (ich werde aber
aus den weniger Beispielen nicht schlau) und / oder mit komplementaerer
Distribution in einer frueheren Sprachstufe zu tun hat: soweit ich
weiss,
hat sich -keit als Allomorph von -HEIT entwickelt (aus der Anglistik ist
mir jedenfalls nur das Engl. -HOOD(E) bekannt, nicht aber *-KOOD(E)).
Mir scheint, dass -KEIT nicht mehr produktiv ist, ausser in Derivation
aus *+LICH or / -IG: Vergesslichkeit, Schaebigkeit, Verlaesslicheit,
Herrlichkeit, Helligkeit (fragen Sie mich nicht, wo das -ig herkommt),
Schaebigkeit (dies ist wohl eine Spontanbildung oder basiert auf meinem
schwaebischen Dialekt - wuerde aber in jedem Fall die Regel
bestaetigen).
Die Ersetzung durch  -KEIT duerfte durch die sonst entstehende  Naehe
des
-h- in -HEIT zu dem velaren Frikativ /ch/ zu erklaeren sein (ich
vermute
eine Affrikation des -h zu -kch und dann eine Abschleifung zu -k). Als
einzige weitere Bildungen mit -keit fallen mir solche mit -SAM (auch
nicht mehr produktiv): Wachsamkeit, Strebsamkeit, Seltsamkeit,
Geruhsamkeit and solche mit -ER ein: Heiterkeit, Duesterkeit,
Sauberkeit,
Bitterkeit. Im Falle von -SAM koennte ich mir vorstellen, dass da
frueher
mal ein Vokal war (*same). In diesem Falle wurde wegen artikulatorischer
Klarheit wohl der Plosiv einem schwachen Frikativ vorgezogen, also
lieber *-samekeit als *-sameheit. Was -ER betrifft, duerfte das apikale
aller aelteren ger. Sprachstufen artikulatorisch mit folgendem /h/ kaum
zu vereinbaren sein. (Dasselbe Problem stellt sich m.E. uebrigens fuer
-sam, wenn der Auslaut nur -m war). Die Bildung "Torheit" muesste nach
dieser Logik (wenn denn etwas dran sein sollte), nach der Veraenderung
des R von apikal zu velar erfolgt sein. (Man muesste mal
recherchieren, ob
es solche -rheit- Bildungen im Schwyzerduetsch ueberhaupt gibt, oder
ob
sie aus dem Deutschen entlehnt sind).

(b)

- neben -LICH / -IG / -ISCH, -SAM, und -ER gibt es noch ein viertes
Suffix, das "-keit" ausloest: -BAR (Sonderbarkeit, Brauchbarkeit).
Entgegen meiner ersten Vermutung glaube ich, dass "-keit" in diesem
Zusammenhang weiterhin nach -bar, -lich und -sam durchaus produktiv ist.
Nach -er wohl eher nicht (die kleine Gruppe von -er-Adjektiven wie
sauber, heiter, lauter, bitter etc. sind ja germanische Erbwoerter),
denn
die Ausnahme folgt auf dem Fuss: "Lockerheit" duerfte eine neuere
Bildung
sein, fuer die die -rh-Einschraenkung nicht mehr greift. Eine
aehniche
Einschraenkung koennte uebrigens fuer -HAFT und -LOS sowie
Erb-Adjektive auf
-ELL (hell, grell) gelten, deren alveolare Auslaute ebenfalls sehr weit
entfernt von -h liegen, was den Einschub von -ig noetig machte.

- wenn man die erwaehnte Hypothese der artikulatorischen
Unvereinbarkeit
von apikalem R, M und palatalem CH mit H zugrundelegt, ergeben sich
allerdings Gegenbeispiele wie "Sturheit", "Dummheit",  "Flachheit".
Diese scheinen jene fragwuerdige Komplex/Simplex-Regel zu bestaetigen.
Ich
denke aber, dass der Ausloeser hier  weniger die Wortbildungsstruktur,
sondern eher die Akzentverteilung ist - das Suffix folgt in diesen
Simplex-Faellen direkt auf die Tonsilbe, waehrend bei den derivierten
Basen (haesslich-) eine unbetonte Silbe vorangeht. Das wirft die Frage
auf, was im Falle von Adjektiv-Komposita passiert - mir fallen leider
nur zwei Beispiele ein: ein  konstruiertes "bockstur" (hinten betont),
aus dem ich das Nomen  "Bocksturheit" ableiten wuerde (auch wenn ich
nicht ganz sicher bin, was hier die Basis waere - vielleicht faellt
Ihnen
ein besseres Beispiel ein), sowie "taubstumm" (vorne betont) - mit Nomen
"Taubstummheit". Ich  bin mir bei diesen Beispielen nicht sicher, wie
die Akzentverteilung beim Nomen aussieht - sind jeweils beide Silben
betont? Eine moegliche Erklaerung fuer die betonungsbedingte
Verteilung
waere vielleicht in der Artikulationsstaerke zu suchen: bei direkt
vorangehender Tonsilbe ("Torheit") ist genuegend Kraft vorhanden, um
ein
genuegend deutliches -h zu artikulieren. (Ich denke, das gilt auch
fuer
die Komposita, deren Sekundaerakzent immer noch staerker ist als der
auf
einem Derivationsmorphem). Wenn eine unbetonte Silbe dazwischen liegt
("Haesslichkeit"), reicht die Kraft nicht mehr aus - historisch
koennte das
-k also aus einer Ueberartikulation des -h stammen: neuer Tonansatz fuer
die letzte Silbe, daher mehr Kraft und Affrikation des -h zu -kch. (In
diesem Zusammenhang waere auch zu klaeren, wie und wann sich die
Distribution von palatalem und velarem CH entwickelt hat). Die
Simplex-Komplex-Symptomatik scheint mir daher nur ein Nebeneffekt eines
phonologischen Problems zu sein - wenn Ueberhaupt, muesste die
Trennung
hier zwischen Simplex+ Kompositum gegenueber Derivationen gesetzt werden.

- Warum machen Sie nicht mal einen "Dummy Word"-Test mit
Muttersprachlern, i. S.V "Bilden sie Nomina aus folgenden Adjektiven":

grinzlich
lohmisch
bilgbar
lehsam
etc.

mirr
bimm
wich
etc.

(c) Moglich waren auch "acceptability tests":
"Welche Worter halten Sie fur mogliche Bildungen des Deutschen:
Lehsamkeit, Lehsamheit, Bilgbarkeit, Bilgbarheit, Wichheit, Wichkeit
etc."

(17) Richard Wiese

(a) with some interest I read your query in the Linguist List.
My own view is that, even if it is easy to disagree with the details of
my proposals in the "Phonology of German", it will be hard to argue that
the distribution is not conditioned basically by prosody. Neither
morphology nor semantics will do the job, in this case.

(b) noch zur Lexikalisierung: die gibt es, aber nur in einem eng
umrissenen Bereich, bei bestimmten Adjektiven mit reduzierter Endsilbe.
Ansonsten ist es ja so, dass die heit/keit-Suffigierung zum Glueck
produktiv ist, sodass man testen kann, welche Form unter welchen
Bedingungen verwendet wird. Uebrigens kann man zur Datensuche sehr gut
die ruecklaeufigen Woerterbuecher verwenden, da man dort alle Formen mit
heit bzw. keit jeweils zusammen findet. Meine Meinung ist, dass nicht so
sehr die Beschreibung strittig ist, sondern dass es vor allem unklar
ist, WARUM sich in der Sprachgeschichte dieses Muster so und nicht
anders herausgebildet hat.

(18) Larry

1) I use the suffix "-heit" after:

a) simple stem adjectives:
dumm-
roh-
geil-
hoch- (changes to "ho-" when suffix is added, phonological reason?)
ganz-
schoen-

b) some adverbs of comparison or degree:
mehr-
minder-
gesamt-

c) adjectives that are past participles of verbs with prefix "ge-"
gegeben-
gelegen-
gefuellt-

c) I know one case of an adjectives that looks like a truncated past
participle of verbs with prefix "ge-"
gesund- (truncation: participle "gesundet" -> adjective "gesund")

d) adjectives that are past participles of verbs with prefix "ver-"
verlegen-
verlogen-
verbogen-
vergangen-
verdammt-

e) adjectives that are past participles of verbs with prefix "er-"
ergeben-
erwogen-

f) adjectives that are past participles of verbs with prefix "be-"
besonnen-
betrunken-
bedampft-

Note: I have ignored the issue of whether a prefix is separable or
inseparable, in any given case, because I do not have any indication
right now that this would make a difference in regards to the topic of
"-heit" vs. "-keit". But it may make a difference - I would recommned
getting more data and taking a good look at this point as well.

A few additional (rather casual) notes on prefixes (because you made
what looked like an exasperated comment about the prefix "ver-"):

i) ge-" is the prefix that forms past participles

ii) "ver-" is a perfective aspect marker that replaces the prefix "ge-"
in past participles when the verb is prefixed by "ver-"

iii) "er-" is a perfective aspect marker that replaces the prefix "ge-"
in past participles when the verb is prefixed by "er-"

iii) "be-" is a perfective aspect marker that replaces the prefix "ge-"
in past participles when the verb is prefixed by "be-"

v) there are other perfective aspect prefixes that replace "ge-", such
as "ueber-", and "unter-" (these have figurative meaning - compare with
"hinueber-" or "herueber-": those have literal meaning) and "ent-", for
example

vi) there are other perfective aspect marking prefixes that do not
replace but precede the participle making prefix "ge-", such as "aus-",
"ab-", "auf", "zu-", "hinueber-", "herueber-", "rauf-", "runter-",
"durch-", "weg-", etc. (some of these prefixes indicate completion of
spatial movement, others completion of processes in time)

There's probably much moe to write about prefixes, but that's all I
found in my head during this quick scan. Back to the topic at hand:

2) The suffix "-keit" is used after:

non-simple stem adjectives
heiter-
munter-

adjectives with suffix "-lich"
ehrlich-
nuetzlich-
duemmlich-
moeglich-
dienlich-
hoeflich-
gefaehrlich-
vergaenglich-
vergeblich-
betrueblich-

adjectives with suffix "-sam"
grausam-
einsam-
ehrsam-
muehsam-
genuegsam-
unliebsam-

adjectives with suffix "-ig"
listig-
lustig-
laestig-
witzig-
wenig-
faehig-
ergiebig-

It would appear that the rule you were given is correct but only
applicable to a small subset of adjectives, while those adjectives that
have a suffix or that are in the shape of a past participle, need to be
considered with different rules.

Dr Stefan Ploch
Senior Lecturer
Linguistics (SLLS)
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Private Bag 3
WITS 2050
South Africa

stefan at linguistics.wits.ac.za (default/Normalfall), or/oder