13.1289, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 9 03:55:40 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1289. Wed May 8 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1289, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Wed, 8 May 2002 13:33:31 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
Subject:  FW: 13.1279, Disc: New: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Wed, 8 May 2002 13:46:04 -0700
From:  Kevin Gregg <gregg at andrew.ac.jp>
Subject:  Re: 13.1279, Disc: New: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

3)
Date:  Wed, 8 May 2002 16:48:25 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
Subject:  RE: 13.1288, Disc: Re: 13.1279:Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

4)
Date:  Wed, 8 May 2002 17:56:21 -0400
From:  "dave odden" <odden at ling.ohio-state.edu>

Date:  Wed, 8 May 2002 13:33:31 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>

Geoffrey Sampson offers reasonable, well-known responses to my entirely
unoriginal claims about falsifiability vs. usefulness. I think the views
he offers in reply, however, are unhelpful and problematic. But before I
say why, let me just say why I posted on this bottomless pit of a topic.

Falsifiability is a very outdated perspective in the philosophy of
science. I would guess that the vast majority of epistemologists moved
beyond this years ago. Yet it lingers in linguistics with negative
effects. I agree with Hull (1988: 342) when he claims that "Except for
operationism, no other philosophical doctrine has been so thoroughly
misunderstood or caused more damage in science than falsifiability." It
really irks me to see linguists cite it as a sort of mantra.

But let's take up Sampson's remarks. The first one, given below as (S1),
refers to the well-known Popperian desire to distinguish metaphysics
from science. Consider what Sampson says:

(S1) Your rhetorical questin "What could falsify the statement
'Scientific theories
should be falsifiable'?" would not be accepted by Popperians as a
reasonable criticism, because Popper's demarcation criterion was very
explicitly put forward as demarcating empirical science from other forms
of discourse; it was never claimed to demarcate sense from nonsense more
generally, and certainly does not.  "Scientific theories should be
falsifiable" is not, and is not intended to be, an assertion of
empirical science; nor is, for instance, "It is wrong to kill people".

But it is not surprising that the attempt to maintain this kind of
distinction got Popper into trouble. For example, it forced him to label
evolutionary theory/Darwinism as metaphysics, rather than science at one
point. Later, however, Popper realized that this was a weird move and
reinstated Darwinism as science. But it is very hard to do this and
exclude, say, Marxism (which exclusion was an objective of Popper's - on
this more directly).

Since Sampson refers to Imre Lakatos's work on 'Scientific Research
Programs', let us consider some Lakatos here. In Motterlini (1999,
90ff), Lakatos observes that it is absolutely crucial that Popper
distinguish metaphysics and science or "Newton and Marx are on a par."
But, Lakatos goes on to say, "the whole enterprise of the demarcation
criteria hinges on whether we can have this dichotomy, i.e., whether we
can have some criteria to decide about the goodies and the baddies."
Lakatos points out that one can draw a distinction between 'shelving'
and 'abandoning' certain problems for a theory. In fact, I think if one
looks at the history of modern linguistics, this is a very common
distinction. Chomsky has made much this same distinction repeatedly,
i.e., that it is often necessary to set problems aside ('to shelve'
them) to give the theory breathing space. But this is not to be taken as
an admission that the theory cannot solve them (i.e. that it must
'abandon' them). In the history of Relational Grammar, for example, many
syntactic problems and potential counterexamples were shelved in order
to focus exclusively on clear cases of grammatical relation-changing
operations as support for the theory. Or, in phonology, I have noticed
that most researchers ignore/shelve the data that in some languages
onsets contribute to stress-placement, because this doesn't fit anyone's
theory. Or, to refer to a piece that Peter Ladefoged and I wrote for
Language some years ago "The problem of phonetic rarities", the basic
response of segmental phonologists to sui generis segments is to ignore
them. However, as Lakatos (ibid) goes on to observe, "Once we accept the
shelving-abandoning equation, Marxism and Freudism are exactly on a par
with Newton, and therefore Popper's enterprise flounders completely."

Now let's take Sampson's second point:

(S2) The point you make about it being usually implausible that a
scientist will treat a pet theory as falsified because of apparently
contrary evidence is well understood and accepted among Popperian
philosophers of science. The man who has discussed this in the most
sophisticated way was Imre Lakatos, who argued that what we ought to
assess are not individual theories taken in isolation, almost all of
which will seem incompatible with some datum here or there, but
"problemshifts" -- sequences of successively modified theories, which
may react to data in ways that progressively enrich their testable
consequences, or may react by increasingly sealing themselves off
from any logical possibility of refutation.

I agree about Lakatos, as my previous quote suggests. Though I do not
think that Popperians 'get it', not, for example, the problem mentioned
by Lakatos in my above quote.

On the usefulness of falsifiability, though, let us consider a couple of
additional problems that many who espouse
falsificationism/falsifiability tend to miss. First an easy one from
Hull. Then a deadly problem from Hempel.

The easy one: "In any instance of apparent falsification, too many
alternative sources of error are not only possible but plausible. If one
could be absolutely sure that a particular observation is veridical and
that no modification elsewhere can save a particular hypothesis, then
single-minded attention to falsification would be justified." (Hull
1988: 342)

This is the EASY problem and I already think that it is fatal for any
form of falsificationism. But now consider the hard problem:

"If a sentence S is completely falsifiable whereas N is a sentence which
is not, then their conjunction S.N ... is completely falsifiable..."
(Hempel p74 - in Boyd, Gasper, and Trout, 1991).

This means in effect that I can make any statement falsifiable by merely
conjoining it to a falsifiable statement.

So, for example, "2+2=4 and God exists" is a falsifiable statement.
However, it is hardly what Popper had in mind.

An additional problem with falsifiability, a well-known one, is that it
can only tell us negative things. It allows us to say that this or that
statement is wrong. But not that this or that statement is worth
believing in, worth trying, worth following, etc. I think that this is a
hellacious omission. And I am not alone.

Falsifiability/falsificationism is old hat, unhelpful, and particularly
pernicious in some of the misguided applications made of it in
Linguistics.

With that positive note I push the send button.

Dan Everett