13.1334, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 13 15:19:15 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-1334. Mon May 13 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.1334, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

Consulting Editor:

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Date:  Mon, 13 May 2002 06:41:50 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>
Subject:  RE: 13.1330, Disc: Falsifiability vs. Usefulness

2)
Date:  Mon, 13 May 2002 07:40:33 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>

Date:  Mon, 13 May 2002 06:41:50 -0300
From:  "Dan Everett" <dan_everett at sil.org>

Of the three sets of remarks in 13.1330 re falsifiability vs.
usefulness, George Gale's posting seems to me to raise the only new
perspective on the issues.

Gale says: "Sometimes falsifiability works exactly as Popper described
it, and for a straightforward reason: the theorist designs the theory
to be a candidate for Popperian falsifiability." The example Gale
gives of a theory so designed is Bondi's research on Steady-state
cosmology.  Bondi said what kind of counterexample would lead him to
abandon the theory and, when faced with an exemplar of such, did
abandon the theory.

In fact what I think this illustrates is that Bondi simply refused to
allow himself the equally Popperian breathing room of 'shelving' the
anomaly. More generally, if I tell you that 'If you do 'x' (e.g. find
an example of shape 'z'), I will do 'y' (e.g. abandon my theory)'
then, although this is an interesting bit of scientific history,
nevertheless, it need not be taken as support for falsifiability,
merely for my penchant for gambling. Or, in Bondi's case, how he chose
to behave in a given circumstance. There is nothing inherent in the
notion of falsifiability that would explain Bondi's behavior, except
that Bondi so interpreted it. Elsewhere, people (e.g., any major
linguistic theory) do not behave this way, i.e., they do not feel so
constrained by falsifiability because they know that one can avoid
falsifiability by *not* designing their theories so as to be deprived
of the right to 'shelve' problematic data. What Bondi did seems much
stronger than falsifiability, pretty much just a choice he made. I
look forward to reading Gale's discussion of the matter, however.

I think that Gale gets to the heart of the problem in his final
paragraph: "If someone wanted to deny that there were *genuine* cases
of falsifiability, I suppose that they could defend their hypothesis
and attack the Bondi case. As Lakatos always said, if you don't want
up a hypothesis in the face of contrary evidence, then don't. Nobody
can make you do it if you don't want to."

Just so - but this is what renders falsifiability less than
useful. This is exactly why falsifiability doesn't work, i.e. one is
never forced to admit that his/her theory or statement has been
falsified (so long as one says 'we'll just set this problem aside for
now and come back to it later'). Do I think it is unreasonable to set
aside problems, i.e. to shelve them? Not at all. I think this is
useful and that it makes good sense. But it renders falsiability a
mantra, rather than an advance in epistemology.

-  Dan Everett